HV30 and Stedicam Merlin? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 16th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Major Player

HV30 and Stedicam Merlin?

Is anyone having any luck with the HV30 and steadicam Merlin, if you are are you leaving the IS feature on or off when using it this way?
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #2
Wrangler

Always turn off electronic stabilization when using a mechanical stabilizer or on a tripod.
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Regarding turning off the stabilizer when using a tripod, does this mean that you lose some quality if it is left on ?

My reason for this question is that I often use my tripod for crane shots by collapsing the legs and lifting it up so I usually have the stabilizer on. Does this mean I am losing detail for the tripod-only shots ?

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
Regarding turning off the stabilizer when using a tripod, does this mean that you lose some quality if it is left on ?

My reason for this question is that I often use my tripod for crane shots by collapsing the legs and lifting it up so I usually have the stabilizer on. Does this mean I am losing detail for the tripod-only shots ?

RonC.
If the IS feature is on and there is no camera movement it sometimes creates a jerky motion trying to compinstate for movement that is not there.

I have had some footage pretty much worthless because it was left on, not every time but has happened and thankfully another cam was running.
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Great advice. My HV30 and steady cam comes tomorrow and I know I would have made this mistake. Thanks!!
Dustin Alcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Major Player

anyone else using this combination, HV30 and stedicam merlin?
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
anyone else using this combination, HV30 and stedicam merlin?
I do and feels so good to shoot with this Hv30/merlin combination. I'm talking about the benefit of not having to much weight on you arm. With parctice you can get footage similar to the other big stabilizers. One problem is when you shoot with windy condition the story is different. Not too much inertia.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
If the IS feature is on and there is no camera movement it sometimes creates a jerky motion trying to compinstate for movement that is not there.
The problem I normally see is that when there is deliberate camera movement, the IS tries to stabilise it and that's when I get jerky motion instead of smooth camera sweeps. Whatever the reason, I agree that IS should be off when using the steadicam.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Major Player

I use the combo and it works great for bridal prep and beauty shots. A few words of caution.
1. Forget about using this setup in windy conditions.
2. Start recording and hold steady for at least 5 seconds before and after initiating a move (makes for easier editing, and allows the camera to stabilize after hitting the record button).
3. If possible, do 2 or 3 repetitions of the move. In the small viewfinder, its harder to detect wobble than on a large-screen. What might have looked like a good take could be too wobbly in post.
4. Leave stabilizer off
5. Get used to setting your exposure manually, especially when you are in a constant-lighting situation (not when going indoors to out).
6. Get a decent wide-angle lens and you'll find it easier to get those beautiful tracking shots.
7. Be prepared to answer questions. No piece of equipment I've ever owned has generated as much interest from the average Joe. And I've got some great toys!
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Major Player

anyone have some footage to share with this combo.
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Major Player

Here's a little footage of that combo I took. The end of this trailer shows how steady the merlin can be . . . which is worth every cent inmho. With practice you can practically run up a cliff and not have wobble.

Adios San Juan (Trailer)

A couple hints. And I'm sort of embarassed to say this. Although I've been using the HV20 and 30 for years with the merlin I never fully realized how to put into words the problems with the rolling shutter effect until reading Oleg's post below about the canon Mark II. Everything that Oleg and Jon say about the Canon Mk II's rolling shutter is exactly right about the HV30's rolling shutter.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...e-footage.html

Good luck.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Denny,

All the gliding shots from the following clip are shot with Merlin+HV30+Raynox Wide angle adapter setup.

Cristina & Laszlo :: Destination Wedding Teaser - Mexico on Vimeo

About 95% of my gliding shots from my last year's work are shot with this setup. I'm upgrading to Merlin+XH A1 set up starting this year. Hopefully, my arms will hold up :-)
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Purad View Post
Denny,

All the gliding shots from the following clip are shot with Merlin+HV30+Raynox Wide angle adapter setup.

Cristina & Laszlo :: Destination Wedding Teaser - Mexico on Vimeo

About 95% of my gliding shots from my last year's work are shot with this setup. I'm upgrading to Merlin+XH A1 set up starting this year. Hopefully, my arms will hold up :-)
It is a much heavier setup, not because of the A1, but the counter weights that it takes to balance. I too need to get my arms in shape for this as I have seen some amazing footage with the A1-Merlin combo.
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
All the gliding shots here are with that combo as well:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...ghts-clip.html

It was also my first shoot using it!
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Major Player

For those using this combo do you still like it, I am torn between the HV30 and the A1, the HV30 is almost too light and the A1 quite heavy. I may just need to work out a little and use the A1, would not be using it for long anyways.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders