overly sensitive to humidity? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Major Player

overly sensitive to humidity?

Has anyone experienced their 30 to be very, very sensitive to humidity? I am experiencing the cassette be ejected when the camera is moved from a cool environment to an exterior warm one. I have never experienced a camera to be as sensitive as this one. It is only a few weeks old and I would consider returning it, unless this is the norm.
Best, Craig Hollenback
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm curious to know as well. I'll be taking my HV20 to the Amazon rainforest in Peru in 2 months and would like to know if it is "overly" sensitative. I took a Panasonic GS300 a few years ago and had no problems.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #3
Trustee

I've had my HV30 for 9 months and have shot in all the conditions that northern New England can generate. It's been flawless, as have my HV10 and XH A1.

I think most would agree that heat cycling any camera should be avoided when possible. You don't want to transit a camera from a heated home to a sub-freezing exterior any more than you'd want to take it from air conditioning to outside in the heat of a humid day any more than you must. You can mitigate the heat cycling through a proper choice of cases. By keeping your HV30 in a foam filled Pelican case, as I do, it will literally insulate your gear from climatic changes.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been shooting with mine in wet caves and haven't had any problems.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Major Player

It must have been a defective camera

The temp in the house was 78F outdoors was 79F, however humidity was around 85 percent outdoors. The camera would shut down and eject tape within a few minutes either way. It was under 30 days old and J&R music world took it back along with the Canon WA because they no longer had stock on the 30s. Instead, I purchased a HFS 100 with 32 GB card. It looks to be a terrific camera, super great image but sadly about twice the price of the 30.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders