Playing files edited and put back on SD card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 27th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #1
Tourist

Playing files edited and put back on SD card

I have a Canon HF-100 and a Panasonic Blu-Ray player with SD card slot. Panny is great at playing AVCHD just recorded on the camera, but if I try and play something I have edited, then dragged back to the SD card, it won't pick it up. I have kept the parameters exactly the same and tried files extensions .mp4. mts and .m2ts (Canon saves files as .mts). Is there something else I have to add to make this work?

It just seems a great way to play things back in hi-def without having to burn a disc.

Many thanks.
James Heming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Can your Panasonic BluRay player play an individual .mts file from the original camcorder STREAM folder or does it require the entire SD card content from the camcorder including all the associated folders and files as well in order to allow playback?
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #3
Tourist

me too.

I am having the same issue. I would love to hear the answer to this!
Holland Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Have either one of you tried to play ONLY the .mts file on your Panasonic?

I want to offer help, but it is not clear whether the problem you are having comes from:

the single edited .mts file being unplayable by your Panasonic

or

the edited .mts file is being replaced in the STREAM folder on your card, and the Panasonic will not accept the modified card with this replaced file

How are you taking the edited / revised .mts file into your Panasonic player?

Larry
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #5
Tourist

hi def

In my case it is on a ps3. I can play the straight un-edited files right off the camera. I want to mainly do some simple cuts and have it back on the card in full hd quality. When I attempt to output the video from final cut it is not as good of quality (compressed?) and the ps3 won't recognize the file. I have tried .mov and h.264 and .mp4 so far and they either look bad (on my mac) or won't play on the ps3 (even thought the ps3 plays many file types)
Holland Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Holland,

You can try setting Compressor to the template for mpeg2 / HDV output and then take the edited file over with an .mpg file extention to the PS3. I have not used the Mac recently and am not sure if other formats wil work on the PS3 or not.

Larry
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Tourist

Quote: "Can your Panasonic BluRay player play an individual .mts file from the original camcorder STREAM folder or does it require the entire SD card content from the camcorder including all the associated folders and files as well in order to allow playback?"

Hi Larry, thanks for trying to help. Been away a couple of days; By the looks of it the Panasonic needs all files and folders to recognise the .MTS files on the card from the camcorder - ie. anything alien to this isn't being picked up. Also, interestingly, although there may be multiple .mts files (00012,00013 etc etc), it will only show as one long cut when the SD card is opened in the Blu-Ray player. Something to do with an auto playlist perhaps?

Many thanks.
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi James,

If the Panasonic player requires the full content of the camcorder SD card, including the BDMV folder and all of its content, then I am not aware of a method to simply edit a video clip and then return it to the card as an edited .mts file which will work. I am basing this on the assumption that the other folder content is also being used, and these files contain indexes, thumbnails, playlist, and other content-related data. Some players do permit raw .mts files to be played directly without any of the supporting data files, and apparently the Panasonic you have is not among them.

All is not lost, however.

You should be able to create a playable, edited file (or files) by using one of the editing programs which produces so-called "AVCHD disks". These are conventional (red-laser) DVD-R or DVD+R disks which you create with your camcorder content which contain your edited video and these can be made to display at exactly the same image quality as the original video from your camcorder for a playing time of around 45-70 minutes total depending on whether you use single or dual layer blank disks in your burner.

There have been several threads on this forum discussing the editing and creation of AVCHD disks, and I encourage you to look them over to see if the approach appeals to you.

This would allow you to take your video clips, trim them, join them, remove parts you do not like, add a variety of effects, filters, titles, etc. This presumes you have both the interest and time as well as a very substantial computer to edit AVCHD content, however.

Look over these threads and see if any of this appeals to you.

Larry
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Trustee

I didn't want to go down the BluRay road to play back my edited material from my HF10. Instead, I've chosen the Western Digital HD Media Player. For around 80GBP, it's amazing. I'm editing AVCHD material at full 1920 x 1080 rez with Premiere Elements 7, rendering them as mpeg2 files also at the full rez - transferring to a USB portable drive or memory stick and playing them back on my HDTV on the media player.
It will handle virtually all video files as well as audio and still images. Great bit of kit...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #10
Tourist

Thanks to both Larry and Robin (love your morning in Wales vid on Vimeo). I will certainly look over those threads and the Western Digital player sounds great too. If I have any breakthrough on the SD card front, I'll let you know. Seems a wasted opportunity if Panasonic are singing from the roof-tops that this player will play AVCHD but turns out not edited material.
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Trustee

James,

I'm going to add a hearty second to using the Western Digital media player WD TV. I have the one released a few months back that is a small box with 2 USB input ports, HDMI out (for your HD TV) and composite out if TV is not HD. A small remote is included, this is a tremendously flexible item.

I'm playing my edited HD content from USB thumb drives, although in the not too distant future I'll move a 320GB external USB hard drive over by the TV.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders