Hv30/HG21/hfs10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 1st, 2010, 03:39 PM   #16
New Boot

Im using a XHA1 and HV30.

Im looking at purchasing a HF100, does anyone have this combo?
If so do you have any pros/cons about the HF00 with an XHA1?

I would like to see if tapeless is the way to go. But it still scares me.

Thanks.
Nathan Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:22 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Our experience

Last year, we were able to use an A1, HV-20, HV-30 and the Sony HC3. Here is our impression.

Out of the box, the smaller cameras were easy to use. The colors were vibrant and good without any tweaking. Because you have an A1, I'm sure you already know that to get the best out of the camera, you have to tweak it.

The Sony was warmer. Had better stabilization even if it was electronic and the Canon's were not. The Sony was a tad sharper too. But in good light, all performed very well. The Sony was in there with the Canon's considering that it had only 60i whereas we used 30p for the HV-30 and A1, with 60i for the HV-20. In good light, it's hard to tell the 3 apart. You have to really look hard to see the difference and it's not much. The colors were not muted or lacking even on the single sensors.

Because of this results, I had wanted an HV-30. Unfortunately, or fortunately, BHPhoto had a closing sale on the HF-100's for about U$550 vs the U$600 for the HV-30. It was a tough choice but I went for the tapeless solution. The price of the HF-100 went up to U$550 for some unknown reason so that's what I paid for it.

Between the HV-30 and the HF-100, the HF-100 was sharper. It was very obvious. Color was about the same. Low light goes slightly to the tape camera because the HV-30 was 1/2.7" if I am not mistaken vs the HF-100 w/c was 1/3.2". It was close though. And since I use the HF-100 in 30p, the low light was given more lattitude.

In the end, I am glad I got the HF-100. Tapeless saves me a lot of time in moving the video to the computer. Before a 3-hour video on tape will transfer about 3+ hours. Now, that is about 15-25 min only. I can put that 3 hour video in just one 16gb class 6 SDHC. That is a great convenience! A big help too if you do SDEs.

I just got a used 2nd hf-100 about a week ago. I was about to ask my friend to get me the hf-s100 of last year as it is dropping in price, but a local friend sold me his HF-100 with a modosteady, CP, and wide angle for U$630 and that was good enough for me. I know the hf-s100 is better, but I figure, I'd get two of the hf-100 and go for a canon 550d DSLR if I really want the shallow DOF and better low light.

BTW, I am a semi-pro doing events/wedding videos. This is the reason why I had to get a 2nd videocam or the hf-100. Though the hf-100 is not as current or the best now, it is still very viable. I will be reserving future funds for the next generation videocams and will use these 2 hf-100's and the 550d for our work till the GH2 or some other better models come around.

In summary, these newer cameras are getting better. Of course, you have to re-do your workflow. And with AVCHD, you better have good NLE software and a faster computer (quadcores or i7's). I can vouch for Canon's tapeless solutions. To my eyes they are even in good light, and only the better controls of the more expensive cameras make them better to use. But if you talk of image quality, they are very, very close.
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders