Am I getting anything better by going with a Class 6 card over Class 4 with the HF10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Am I getting anything better by going with a Class 6 card over Class 4 with the HF10

When I first got my HF10, I found a good price on a Class 6 card. The manual says it can handle any card from Class 4 up. I know there are benefits to getting a faster card for my still camera but I am trying to figure out if there is any real advantage to paying the extra and going with the Class 6 card other than the speed of capturing the video for Final Cut.

One reason I got the class 6 was because I am "one of those" who doesn't like to use the minimum specs and figuring if the manufacturer is a little off, I might have problems. By having a class 6, I should have more lee-way if they are off on the spec. A little paranoid I know.

With the difference in price, I am starting to judge with my wallet and wondering if I really need anything more than a Class 4.

Bryan
Bryan Cady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Class 4 vs 6

Well, class 4 should guarantee 4MBps, which equals to 32Mbps. Your HF-10 maxes out a 17Mbps, so you've got plenty of overhead.

The only time you might see the difference is if you use a USB 9or built-in) card reader; since USB has the speed limit of 480Mbps, your files would copy faster if you had a class 6 (48Mbps), vs. class 4.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #3
New Boot

The only benefits will be as a hedge against the future since the next thing always seems to need larger memories at faster speeds. Even the HF Sx series which shoot at 24mps will work with speed 4 as my 32GB cards are all this. I use 16GB Speed 6 cards as well and have noticed no difference. Perhaps it might be faster in writting the photo data if you hit the photo buttom while filming, but how many photos do you really need to take back to bak while filming the same thing? Especially since you can do the same thing while watching the playback on the camcorder. If it was me, if the price was close, I'd get the faster card. If its a big difference then I'd be more inclined to just get the class 4.
Sean Nordeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys...This helped alot.
Bryan Cady is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders