HF-G10 Digital Zoom - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 29th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: HF-G10 Digital Zoom

Thanks again and the XL is now working. Seemingly/hopefully a temporary power problem, perhaps some muck got onto the battery terminals in the camera.

Still mulling over the G-10, quite expensive for what it is if I use solely with a nanoFlash. I wonder why the trend with current small camcorders is for 10x zooms out to a max 35mm equivalent of about 350mm.

I guess I somehow need to get my hands on one and try it out which not easy where I live, hence the usefulness of Forums like this one.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
I wonder why the trend with current small camcorders is for 10x zooms
Probably driven by the realities of optics and cost. Long zooms and long focal lengths require large glass to have any lens speed. Large glass is expensive and heavy. To have a G10 with the same zoom reach and aperture range as the XH-A1s or XL-H1 would require about the same size glass given that it has a 1/3" sensor. (To put this in some perspective consider the size of 50mm/f1.4 normal lens on a 35mm still camera, and then consider the size you need for a 100mm/F1.4.)

And to that add the implications of larger sensors (CCD/CMOS). A larger sensor needs larger, better glass to provide the same field of view (zoom reach). Suddenly you have to change the physical size and price point, and are back to the XH-A1s.

Worth note that the moderate costs camcorders with large optical zoom ranges often have small sensors, some with 1/6 inch or less.

On microphones: Senn are good, but Rode and AT offer decent shotgun mics at more modest price points that work well with the Canons (and other camcorders).
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
I wonder why the trend with current small camcorders is for 10x zooms out to a max 35mm equivalent of about 350mm.
Another issues is Canon probably has to balance out the overall needs of users. For the majority of shooting I do, the wide field of view is a lot more important than a long zoom. Not that there aren't times that I could use a longer zoom as well.

I agree the Rode mics are a great value and sound terriffic. The issue that comes up with mics on the G10 is no phantom power, therefore you will need a battery powered mic. In the Rode line, that means going with the NTG2 which is 11" long, 4" longer than the cam itself when you add the XLR jack. The NTG1 at only 8.5" long would be a perfect fit, but no battery assist. The Sennheiser ME64/K6 is a touch shorter than the NTG1 and has battery assist. However, it is cardioid, not as much 'shotgun' as the Rode. Soooo... if you don't mind some off-axis audio, the Sennheiser is not a bad fit.

Does anyone have experience with any other short cardioid or hyper-cardioid mics out there that are great sounding, affordable and in the 9" long range (battery powered preferred)?
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #19
Wrangler

Some folks like the Rode Video Mic line (but i've not used them).

In the world of stereo cardoid mics, the former AT-822 and its successors (AT8022 and AT2022) should work well with camcorders lacking XLR connectors.

At 11 inches the AT897 is a well received shotgun with AA battery power option.

One issue to donsider with shotguns, cardiods, hyper cardoides, etc. is whare are the side and back lobes (i.e., directions from which audio is not rejected)? These can be an issue for some applications.

Also worth noting that some XLR adapters do include a phantom power capability thus allowign use with a short shtogum such as the AT875R ot NTG1
Old December 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #20
Major Player

It really does depend on use. I like the Rode Video Mic, and I haven't tried the super video mic. I do almost all my audio on an H4N with another mic either Lav or other, placed at the subject. The Rode and camera audio is to sync with and as a redundant backup.

I'd have gone with the X10 otherwise.
Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders