Need new camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Trustee

Need new camcorder

Ok my hfg10 bit the dust! Had only for 13 months!!! Canon!!!
So guys enlighten me? Panasonic x900/20, another g10 don't want to get hfg25/30 as I have all the extras for g10 and I think everything else's is different? Tell me otherwise! Any other cam out there to go with my 60ds. What's out there sharp video low light???
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Need new camcorder

I!'ve been using a mix of Panasonic Sd700s and 750s for the last couple of years. Love the colour rendition, picture quality, low light, and the manual facilities. I also love the big lens ring which is assignable to focus, exposure etc. the 900 is basically the same engine and optics but should be even better. Mine have all done hundreds of hours filming and thousands of still pics, been dropped, battered and abused and are all still working fine. I still have four other Panny minidv cams that are all still working well, jut obsolete now. The Canon video cameras that I have had in the past have all had very short lives.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Am with Roger on this, I have the Panny TM900. Great cam been with me 2 years still going well.

It gets used in places I dare not put the expensive or large kit.
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Great cheers Matty and Roger, fancy a change from canon...Here I come panasonic
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Let us know how you get on Steve :-)

Roger
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Another happy TM900 shooter here. If budget allows, I recommend you go straight to the £750 X920 - it is much better in low light than its predecessor, the £669 X900.

Here is a side-by-side from Panasonic (please skip ahead to 4:13 and watch at 1080p):

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #7
Trustee

Cheers Bill, I am in a bit of a twaddle at the moment? I got a g6 as you know and love it, but I have three canon 60ds and my hfg10 just bit the dust, I want to go all Panasonic after seeing the g6 but think I may lose out. The hfg10 was superb in low light and daylight and the hfg25 is a great price and it would just slot in with the 60ds. If I have to sell the 60ds I would lose out to then buy the gh3 and a x920 and then more lens for the Panasonic. Mmmm easy option hfg10 again or the hfg25 with he 60ds.Heart option gh3 with the g6 with a x920...
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #8
Wrangler

And I work with an organization for whch we bought a Panasonic TM700. After the first year or so it "aged," and has been a disappointment since - over staurated colors and flaky white balance, and that is in the hands of a skilled shooter. The luck of the draw when buying gear.
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
And I work with an organization for whch we bought a Panasonic TM700. After the first year or so it "aged," and has been a disappointment since - over staurated colors and flaky white balance, and that is in the hands of a skilled shooter. The luck of the draw when buying gear.
That's an interesting experience, as I have been using 2x 700s and a 750 for about 3 years and they are all performing after hundreds of hours. as they always have, except one which has the auto lens cover not working from where I dropped it.

In the hands of a skilled shooter, the white balance is manually adjustable and I have never had any problems with any of the cameras in that way although sometimes the auto white balance can get it wrong with a mix of lighting. As that can be adjusted from the quick touch screen menu even while filming, I don't see itt as a problem.

Also there are several variations in the set up menus for colour saturation ranging in ten steps from -5 to + 5, so I also don't really see why there should be a problem there either. You can also set 'Digital Cinema Colour' for a more movie style colour if required. Like all cameras, the menus and sub menus need to be explored to get the best results.

Roger
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Wrangler

This unit defied setting on a bench with test gear. As I said, the luck of the draw. This TM700 has some sort of intemittent problem.
Old September 12th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Trustee

Got another legria hfg but the hfg25 one up from the hfg10, never had any complaiints at all with the hfg10 in fact I could film a wedding with just that camcorder but my creative side needs a dslr...Plus the hfg25 looks a little more serious than the Panasonics no disrespect pana guys...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders