Looking for a handycam, need advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 28th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Trustee

Looking for a handycam, need advice

I'm looking for a handycam that has the ability to use in manual mode and of course in auto mode. Also I want to be able to plug in a mic.

I have been looking at Sony, Canon, Panasonic. At first I thought the HFG10 but this is discontinued

I'm researching the forums here and on line but I'm a bit lost at the moment with what is out so I'm seeking advice from any handycam users.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Looking for a handycam, need advice

Handicams are always limited in that area, usually you can control one function at the time and you need to use the lcd screen a lot instead of real physical buttons.
Will you be using the camera in a run and gun situation or is it a controlled environment?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Noa, I was just reading one of you posts, thanks for the reply. I guess I'm after a small handycam for run and gun and I think I'll have to use these in auto mode after doing a lot of research. Do you use the CX730? and if so how does this hold up in low light etc...

Cheers
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think most high end handicams perform well in low light, I know the Canons do and so does Sony, not sure about Panasonic but I know they produce a very sharp and crisp image. If you buy one be sure to get the most expensive model, I know for Sony a bit cheaper version has a smaller sensor and has poorer low light performance.

I can only speak for the Sony cx730 I use and I have seen they improved it on audio mainly with the latest version (I think the 780) , if you just go through the topic I started about shooting with small handicams there is allready a lot of info: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...handicams.html
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the info mate.

Cheers
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Major Player

i have a Canon hf g25 which i had been very happy with until last week.
The image and the controls are great for a handycam. i was really pleased until last week i was using the camera as a b camera whilst filming a wedding. i had a key moment when my other camera was running out of batteries so i took the g25 to film the scene. i work as a one man band so occasionally i have to use my b cam as an a cam. it shouldn't be a problem. to my horror the key clips filmed on the g25 were corrupt in many places. i had recorded on the internal hard drive and the clips were f**ked. green digital noise, loops of 2 seconds of video,etc. i was lucky because in 3 10 minute clips i was able to salvage the key 4 mins of footage but it was sheer luck that they turned out well.

a week ago i would have recommended this camera. now i'm not so sure!

Last edited by Andrew Maclaurin; September 30th, 2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: To tone down comments on camera
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Trustee

No problems here with the legria hfg25, perfect camcorder, you must have had a faulty one
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Major Player

I've taken it to the Canon service centre. We'll see what they say but clearly something is faulty! The problem is that when you have a major problem like that it becomes hard to regain trust in your equipment. But as I said, before this incident I was very pleased with the camcorder's performance.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Trustee

After many hours of research I have found this: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300.

The only thing is no audio input, I can get around this with a Zoom. For a couple of hundred $$$ this might be a go for my needs. Anyone here used one of these?
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Trustee

Hi Simon,
Check out Bruce's post about his HX300. Should get any answers you're after in that thread.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd...ml#post1814046
Good luck with the camera hunt.
Regards,
Bryce
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Trustee

Thanks Bryce, I'm wondering if this is a NTSC camera only as I see no mention to PAL settings here in Australia.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:19 AM   #12
Trustee

Yeah for sure it's not region selectable. You would be stuck with a pal or ntsc version only, no way to get both in the one camera.
Regards,
Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders