Small Legria cam to match G25 and XA20 as a C cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 1st, 2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Small Legria cam to match G25 and XA20 as a C cam

Does anyone use a small Legria camcorder that matches the look of the G25 and the XA20 (more or less)?
I'm looking for a camera that is cheap, reasonably good in low light, has a reasonably wide lens and has a few manual controls. The camera will be used as a locked off camera getting a wide general plan in events and weddings.
Thanks
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Small Legria cam to match G25 and XA20 as a C cam

Hi Andrew

I use a Canon HF200. I cannot say how similar to the XA20 it might be, but I am impressed with the degree of manual control. It has manual mic levels, adjustable sharpening, adjustable exposure and focus as well as an accessory shoe for an external mic (proprietary) and and external mic port for something like a Rode. It also has an adjustable zoom speed from a really nice glacial creep to the usual "vomit" setting.

I have been very pleased with it, even though it is just my "holiday" camera. I also have a Century Optics 37mm 0.65 WA attachment on it.

Last edited by Tim Lewis; October 1st, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Tim Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:11 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
Does anyone use a small Legria camcorder that matches the look of the G25 and the XA20 (more or less)?
I'm looking for a camera that is cheap, reasonably good in low light, has a reasonably wide lens and has a few manual controls. The camera will be used as a locked off camera getting a wide general plan in events and weddings.
Thanks
Canon legria hfm56, perfect I have two and one for sale. same colours as the hfg25 just smaller cam...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks steve. I've heard the wide angle is not great and is restrictive. Is that the case? I ask as it's principle gob would be a locked off wide angle shot
Old October 4th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #5
Trustee

Its not bad but when I need it extra wide I use a raynox hd 58mm wide angle lens on it and its awesome..
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks again.
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

A pana DMC-FZ200? Jeff Harper who owns a xa20 as well claims it outperforms his xa20 at full zoom as it's sharper so that might be a cheap c cam alternative.: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...eddings-2.html
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Noa, I used it last night and it does outperform the XA20 at full zoom, noticeably sharper. Personally, I would not buy anything else for use as a b cam. For the price it is remarkable.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Could it be that you posted a xa20/fz200 comparison shot in a church that showed the difference in sharpness? I remember seeing such a shot. I currently have a gh3/g6 but have not used them during a ceremony as I use handicams there for their ease of use, dslr type of cameras still scare me when it comes to continuous multicam "you only get one chance" type of recordings (as a solo shooter). Does the fz200 also has that 30 minute limit, meaning, do you manually have to press the record button again after 30 minutes?
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Major Player

The panasonic looks interesting but it's 430€ here. Seems a lot. How does it do in low light?
I'm really looking for something around 300-350€ that can handle churches, has decent wide angle and will mix well with a canon xa20, g25 and canon dslr.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #11
Inner Circle

At that price your choice is limited, probably the cheapest Canon handicam you can find would be the safest bet since you are already using Canon camera's.
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Major Player

yeah, the canon hf m506 is only 300€ but it doesn't have much of a wide end and if i have to buy a wide adaptor it just pushes up the price!
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Trustee

Yes but if you need it then get it!! The 506 or hfm56 match identical that's what I use with my hfg25 g10, I have told you in my last post. Just get the hd raynox wide angle lens 58mm with a step ring. sorted..
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders