Canon Vixia HF S200 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon Vixia HF S200 24p?

I've shot some material using the AVCHD MFX 60i/PF24/, or 24p setting in this camera. But, no matter which program I use to get it out of the camera, it transfers as 29.98i.

Canon initially said that iMovie was the recommended way, then changed their minds. So I have tried Final Cut X, Final Cut Pro 7.03, and ClipWrap, but all of these give me 29.98i.

I believe I am correct in thinking that the camera records 60i, from which 23.976p can be extracted but have had no success.

Does anyone have an idea of how to do this. The Canon tech support guy tried very hard to help me, but ultimately gave up.

I could stick the 29.98 into Compressor set at the highest quality to transcode the frame rate to 23.976, but it takes absolutely ages to do it, so it's completely impractical. Can't afford Teranex.

Ideas greatly appreciated,

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon Vixia HF S200 24p?

Try this:

Simple Workflow for Removing 2:3 Pull Down | CineTechnica
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you very much indeed for responding to my scream for help. I'll get onto that right away.

Best wishes,

Harry.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:30 AM   #4
Major Player

That's strange. The camera has a native 24p mode that should capture at 23.98 in FCP. It has worked for me before.

Hopefully the mentioned solution as worked for you.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks entirely to the members of this board, I now have several ways of downloading and doing the reverse telecine necessary. In the process, I've learned of several programs I had not tried before, like ClipWrap, JES De-Interlacer and Handbrake.

My sincere thanks to all those who have made such helpful suggestions and taught me so much.

Harry.
Old April 15th, 2020, 11:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Years later, I have the same question. Have you noticed a difference in quality between the options? I'm debating doing Reverse Telecine in Compressor or reexporting with something like ClipWrap
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2020, 04:43 PM   #7
Major Player

I can't help you any more than the above suggestions. In desperation, I shot at 29.98 and reduced to 23.976 but it wasn't pretty, I can tell you. I also used a de-interlacer and a slight amount of motion blur. However, frankly, I can't remember the details. I was using it for a vertical view looking straight down onto a pianist's hands, and that's such a weird angle that I got away with it.

Wish I could be more specific. Good luck,

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders