Trouble getting Legeria HV40 into playback mode for digitisation of miniHDV tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 21st, 2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Trouble getting Legeria HV40 into playback mode for digitisation of miniHDV tapes

After years doing oral histories using consumer grade cameras, I have hundreds of tapes to digitise. I upgraded to the HV40 after my Sony HDV camera died. I didn't have the HV40's long before it's power terminal was damaged so could only use batteries to power it and by the time the cameras ability to power up at all failed, Canon was right into selling their cameras that would only use memory cards. I contacted Canon and they wouldn't even look at it and told me it was now just a paperweight.

But I need to continue digitising these tapes, so bought a second hand HV40. Problem is I can't seem to get it into playback mode. It comes up with what looks like a flashing memory card and I can't seem to access the main menu in order to switch it back to tape record/playback mode so my editing program can recognise it and enable me to digitise it. I've never used memoriy cards, only minHDV tapes so never had to adjust those settings or many settings in general. I'm obviously missing a step here so would really appreciate any assistance or advice anyone with experience with this camera.
Patrick Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Trouble getting Legeria HV40 into playback mode for digitisation of miniHDV tapes

Patrick,
Have you checked the "Tape/Memory Card" switch on the right side of your camcorder?
It may have accidentally been set to "Memory Card."
Craig W. Scribner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders