HV10 with an M2? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:37 AM   #16
New Boot

HV10 and Zoom setup

Hey Jack,

By chance, do you have any footage you've taken using the Zoom and M2. This setup you've detailed is definitely the max you can go for with the HV10. If you have any scripted dialogue, I'd love to see and hear it. I would also like to know what mic you use.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM   #17
Major Player

Aha, no, unfortunately I don't. I don't own an HV10 or an M2, hence why I started the thread asking about whether this setup works. However, I have played with the HV10 extensively in my local Fry's Electronics, so I know the camera pretty well. Sorry if I made it sound like I did own a setup of my own. Yet in any case, the package is still a great value that I would buy in a heartbeat, but I'm saving up for my RED package you see ^_^. So yeah, I'd use this setup if I could. Heck, I may still once I get the RED paid off. Always need a behind the scenes camera you know, plus stunt camera as well.

But even though I don't own this setup, I can still make the recommendations about audio. I've used both the Audio Technica AT-4073a and a Sennheiser MKH416, I've also used a Sennheiser ME66 but not as much as the other two. All of those work very well, but they're industry standard so obviously they'd work well ;). I've also used a Sennheiser G2 wireless set which works really well but I don' know if I'm just old fashioned or what, but I tend to just boom everything so I haven't used the G2 as often as I'd like to.

Also concerning audio, I've basically only used what my college film department has, so I haven't tried for instance a Sennheiser ME67 or AT-897 or any other wireless kits. The school seems to know what's best though so I'm not hurting with my audio choices. Yet between all of the mics I've used so far, I'd have to put my money on the 4073a, I haven't used it as much as the MKH416 but whenever I do I notice that it sounds just a tad clearer and crisper, more pleasing if you will, but that's not to say that I wouldn't use the MKH416 if that's what I had, it still is a great performer that hasn't failed me yet. But what really wins the day for me is that the 4073a is much cheaper than the MKH416 (4073a -$550 vs. MKH416 - $1,100).

So going along with the original package without the follow focus, adding in the 4073a microphone would bring the total up to $3,480, but this is assuming that you have a boompole or add-on accessory shoe mount with some XLR cables already for the microphone because the HV10 doesn't have an accessory shoe of its own. But that is a $200+ difference, accessory shoe add-ons are about $20-30, XLR cable is about $5-20 depending how long you want it, and a boom pole is variable and would account for the remaining difference. But a lot of this trouble could be saved if you bought a 4073a kit for about $1,150 which would include the boom pole, XLR cables, and mounts and such, but not an accessory shoe add-on though but you would only want that for when using just the HV10 and not the M2 and only if you wanted great audio at the same time. All other times with the M2 you would use a boom. Though the kit price is a bit much, you do get a lot with it so it just depends on your budget.
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #18
New Boot

Posted this on the Redrock forum an figured I'd post here if anyone is interested.

Cannon HV10 footage w/cats
Got a new tripod to go with the M2 setup, and needed some quick test footage outside......

If the size is a problem I'll compress another.

Quicktime mov.(157mb) No color correction.
C&C welcomed.
http://ia331341.us.archive.org/1/ite...dcats/cats.mov

BTW Ryan Lindsey,

I've got some Zooms but they are big an heavy,but sooner or later I'm going to buy a Redrock lens support for them.

I'll keep you posted.
Rylan Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Dykmans
I'd love to see a picture of an HV10 all setup with rails/redrock/follow focus/monitor - that would be pretty cool!

ditto...could make my night
Salah Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders