Problems with my HV10 and HDV capture.... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
HV10 is a failure as far as using it as an HDV deck. It performs fine as an HDV camera and SD deck, but it consistantly fails as an HDV deck.

I would highly recommend anybody considering purchasing the HV10 as a deck think twice and prepare for major disappointment if they go ahead.
Not at all true. I'm using Canopus' Edius Pro and haven't had any problems at all with the HV10 as a deck. I think it depends on the editing program you use. It appears that FCP has issues that other programs may not.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM   #32
Trustee

Mike, I have been capturing approx 4 hours from the HV10 without any issues so far! Note that I do not doing any batch capture (lots of start and stop), but straight capture from the camera to the NLE.

Technical data:
Cam: Canon HV10
Tape: Sony HDV 63min (PHDVM-63DM)
NLE: Avid Liquid 7.1
PC: Dell Dimension 9150, Dual 3.4 GHz, 4GB ram, Ati Radeon X1900 512MB, 1TB disk Raid 0

I have not used any tape cleaner yet, but I'm using the same tape stock ALL the time.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:13 AM   #33
Trustee

I have little doubt this is an issue with a given editing program and not the camera. It seems that Apple needs to develop a patch for this issue with FCP.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
I have little doubt this is an issue with a given editing program and not the camera. It seems that Apple needs to develop a patch for this issue with FCP.
I would have to disagree with you that it is FCP, because I have had zero failures with my XH A1.

I will concede, however, that I may have a defective camera.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:52 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I've captured 1hr+30mins straight on MediaStudioPro8 (two sep tapes), winXP sp2, on a P4-HT 2.8GHz Dell (eg relatively slow for HD), and got no glitches/drops. This was again just a full capture, not batch/jump around.
MSPro8 uses HDV native but converts to MPG program stream instead of m2t TS, so is some small processing.

Is this the "real native" HD FCP, not the intermediate codec, correct?
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I've run this little camera thru the "ringer" so to speak with FCP 5.1.2 on a MBP 2.33 over the last week. I've batch captured short clips, long clips, overlapping clips. I captured a 50+ minute long clip that I'm doing a time laspe with without so much as a hiccup. In fact I even use FW control in FCP to control the cam when I'm playing back to my video monitor because it's so much more responsive then the remote.

If there was an inherent flaw in FCP regarding this camera I think I would have seen it by now. Based on everyone's experiences I'd have to think the problems may be with the different units themselves or possibly with the connection to the computer. I capture to a Graid connected to the FW800 bus while the camera is on the FW400 bus. One thing that's really jumped out at me with HDV is how much more it stresses the system overall over footage from my HVX200.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Dykmans
I've run this little camera thru the "ringer" so to speak with FCP 5.1.2 on a MBP 2.33 over the last week. I've batch captured short clips, long clips, overlapping clips. I captured a 50+ minute long clip that I'm doing a time laspe with without so much as a hiccup. In fact I even use FW control in FCP to control the cam when I'm playing back to my video monitor because it's so much more responsive then the remote.

If there was an inherent flaw in FCP regarding this camera I think I would have seen it by now. Based on everyone's experiences I'd have to think the problems may be with the different units themselves or possibly with the connection to the computer. I capture to a Graid connected to the FW800 bus while the camera is on the FW400 bus. One thing that's really jumped out at me with HDV is how much more it stresses the system overall over footage from my HVX200.
Yup. This is why anyone must be careful before condemning an entire series of cameras. It seems most people are having great success with the HV10 in a variety of editing programs. I agree that it could be a bad unit or something else in the editing chain, but it's not the camera line itself.
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Cody: You may indeed have a bad camera, but, remember that because FCP supports one camera, or dozens for that matter, doesn't mean it supports all of them. What version of FCP do use? Rich Dykmans uses FCP 5.1.2, and he said he has no problem.

To all, it may be an issue with Apple supporting the camera, as most that have had no issues seem to use a PC.

I hope that this problem gets straigtened out, but at least at this time I have a PC, and I hope that it will work.

Has anyone captured with PPro? I'm curious about that too.

I am not desparately worried about using my XLH1 for capture, because I think it will hold up well, for years! But, the size makes it take up more room, and when you are accustomed to using a small deck, it just seems huge. I would like a second camera too, so the HV10 seems the perfect solution. One last point on it as a deck, since it is an under $1,000 camera, a MACK 4 year warranty on it is very inexpensive, and would give me peace of mind. Sorry MACK, I do take care of my stuff and have never had to have a camera fixed yet, but I like the insurance if I use it to capture.

One last point to all you camera makers out there, Canon, Sony, JVC, PANY, a small simple HDV deck that we could use to capture on "WOULD SURE SELL GREAT RIGHT NOW!"

Still interested in hearing others stories.

Thanks in advance---Mike
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:53 PM   #39
Regular Crew

I just batched about 30 minutes of footage - 14 clips and this time captured to a portable bus powered FW400 notebook drive (4200 rpm) with the camera daisy chained thru the drive. The drive already had 60 gigs of other stuff on it.

Again nary a hiccup. (I thought maybe the problem others are having might be due to throughput issues since I have, until this point, captured to a FW800 Graid.)

For me batch capturing over the years via FW with FCP has always been one of those "hold your breath and pray" scenarios when capturing from the different mini DV cameras I've owned (VX1000, PD150, TRV900, PC101 and DVX100). I've watched the process with trepidation as the computer would sometimes struggle to hit the correct frame during the process, they just never had that solid feel like a good DV deck. I have to say the transports in this camera seem as close to deck-like as any based on my experience so far. Canon is touting the HV10 as a deck solution for H1/A1/G1 owners and it appears (to me anyway) they have put transports worthy of that into this cam.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders