My First Project. made with my HV10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #1
New Boot

My First Project. made with my HV10

I'm a complete amateur at videography but I have bought the HV10 and, using Vegas 7, completed my first project which is of a few of the sights in London.
I Desperately need some constructive criticism so I can improve and would be Grateful if you could comment on the final video.

It's 3Min 30sec long, recorded using the cam's auto settings and rendered at 1440x1080 HD.

I dumped all the sound from the camera and used a BBC sound effects CD for all of the ambient sound In the video

the direct link is here:
http://uploadingit.com/files/10449/Sightseeing.wmv

or you can download it from this website
http://www.zudeo.com/az-web/details/...ODFGKSSOX.html

Many Thanks

Nick

Last edited by Nick Watts; January 29th, 2007 at 12:19 PM.
Nick Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2
New Boot

Nick,

Upbeat music, interesting sights around town and clever matching of visuals with events in the soundtrack.

Many of the scenes seemed 'tilted' to me - I found myself repeatedly tilting my head to the side in an effort to see it all 'straight on.' Did you level the tripod before shooting? Also, I personally prefer slightly slower zoom/pan speeds. Although I only viewed it on my 20" computer monitor, I'd be afraid of feeling a bit seasick if I were watching it on a large HD screen.

Overall I enjoyed it. For a 'complete amateur' I'd say, good going!

Thanks for sharing, and keep it up.
Jim Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Watts
I'm a complete amateur at videography but I have bought the HV10 and, using Vegas 7, completed my first project which is of a few of the sights in London.
I Desperately need some constructive criticism so I can improve and would be Grateful if you could comment on the final video.

It's pretty big at 160mb, 3Min 30sec long, recorded using the cam's auto settings and rendered at 1440x1080 HD.

I dumped all the sound from the camera and used a BBC sound effects CD for all of the ambient sound In the video

the direct link is here:

or you can download it from this website
http://www.zudeo.com/az-web/details/...ODFGKSSOX.html

Many Thanks

Nick
I liked it a lot, good use of music and clips. zoom/pan speeds could be inproved.

Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Nick: I liked the visuals a lot, I'm surprised you only used auto settings because it looked properly exposed for the most part and usually to get proper exposure you need to use the manual settings. I wasn't crazy about the first music track you used, I didn't think it matched the visuals at all. I'm not sure what kind of music I'd suggest - perhaps something more atmospheric, and less frantic - but that aimless guitar muzak didn't work for me. But everything looked great.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks for all your input, it's been very helpful, I've noticed that alot of the shots are a bit off balance, must make sure to level the tripod first and my Pan and Zoom skills need to be honed.

Thanks

Nick
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Major Player

I really liked it.

I thought the pans were pretty smooth myself. The only thing was it would have looked even better if it wasn't so cloudy and hey, you couldn't do nothing about that on that day!

Cool shots...makes me want to visit there someday.
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #7
New Boot

London

I think when you live somewhere all your life you forget to stop and look around, I suprised myself about how nice London can be!
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Nick, I think it could do with a little contrast + color balance.

In this small example ('little movie' below) I have squeezed a little more life out of your footage, I sweep between the graded and ungraded footage so you can see the difference.

single frame before/after

----------------------------------

little movie

Click on the link above, then when the 'file factory' page opens - click on the blue text in the middle of the page (around a third of the way down) that says Download for free with FileFactory Basic

The page will refresh and now click the link that says 'Click here to begin your download ' which is again in blue and again in the middle of the page.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #9
New Boot

Great!

I'll go through again and see what i can do, It certainly seems to have more life in it.

Thanks

Nick
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson

In this small example ('little movie' below) I have squeezed a little more life out of your footage, I sweep between the graded and ungraded footage so you can see the difference.

Excellent job, Lee! Wow, that really perks up. Did you use FCP or other software?

lmr
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson

----------------------------------

little movie

Click on the link above, then when the 'file factory' page opens - click on the blue text in the middle of the page (around a third of the way down) that says Download for free with FileFactory Basic

The page will refresh and now click the link that says 'Click here to begin your download ' which is again in blue and again in the middle of the page.
Outstanding Lee, I also thought that this grayish looking London scenes could take a little perking up with contrast and color manipulation.
Do you think it could be done on FCExpress ??
Thanks,
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #12
Major Player

Elmer + Luis

I used After Effects - Using the 'levels' plug-in I made the blacks darker and the whites lighter then I simply pulled the gamma around in the three RGB channels a little bit until it looked better.

This was all done with only the 'levels' plug-in - so you should be able to do the same in any editing or compositing software very easily.

Does FCExpress have a levels plug-in ?

Actually... I also added a little bit of sharpness with the sharpen filter
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders