Adaptor Ring Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 21st, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adaptor Ring Question

Hey! I just got my HV10 yesterday. It's a replacement for my trusty Canon Xi. Have to say I was almost shocked by the performance upgrade. They fixed everything I wasn't happy with about the Xi.

White balance, focusing, contrast outlines, rough edges on over-blown areas (I never do that...): no more issues. Noise is almost non-existent in reasonable low light. The resolution increase......shot some quick test footage outside with it right away (mostly in Auto or Sunset mode) just as the sun was going down. When I saw the playback on my HDTV I couldn't believe it was actually this good! Looks like a high res photograph in motion. Much better even than HD broadcast footage. No jaggies or blocking effects anywhere. Who could believe there's a consumer cam that is finally capable of taking such amazing quality video? Such a deal in this little package.

Here's my question: I have a good selection of 46mm filters for my Xi. The HV10 takes a 37mm. I've found a lot of adaptor rings on ebay, but I'm not sure if what I want is a "step UP", or "step DOWN" ring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Proud to be a member of this forum now :)
Kevin A. Sturges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

hi,

37-46mm step up ring
Pond5 – the world’s first web-based stock footage marketplace –
Robert Batta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks! This will save me having to rebuy all those things again.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:57 AM   #4
New Boot

I have a Sony Cybershot and I'm planning to buy a HV10. Sony's filtermount is 58mm and I wish i could buy a 0.3x fisheye, a 0.6x wide angle and a 2.0x tele. Can I use the step up on HV10 on three lenses and use them without having vignetting?

Thank you very much, Luiz.
Luiz Murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've found with my previous camcorders that two is usually the limit. Since you are making a substantial step up to a higher diameter, you may be able to get away with three.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Major Player

LOL ! Kevin, I don't think he wants to use a three lenses at once !!

Luiz it should be fine as the lenses are bigger, it would be a problem if the lenses were smaller.

:)
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ha! I was thinking about filters, not lenses. :)
Kevin A. Sturges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders