Is Anybody Planning to Make an HV10 Tutorial? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 30th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Is Anybody Planning to Make an HV10 Tutorial?

Remember Peter Nova?
(ever heard of him? : )
http://digitalsecrets.net/Sony/SonyeBook.html
Laurentiu Todie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Major Player

I tried to get some sort of "guide" advice going in another thread, but it went on unreplied.

Guess some people feel their "knowledge" is too valuable and or people just don't want to take the time. Either way, it's a shame we don't already have one in here. Not everyone in here is trying to make a buck "in the field"...I just want to take some nice shots of my family and whatnot.

Anyway, hopefully we can get some sort of guide/reference on the different options available on this camera and how/when to use them so we can get the best shots possible.
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

The Peter Nova e-book referenced above costs $50. Is that what you're willing to pay for a similar one covering the HV10?

I'm a little unclear as to what kind of HV10 information you're specifically looking for. This forum already is the single largest HV10 board on the net... you need only to use the search function to find what you need, and if it can't be found, then you need only to post your specific questions.

I don't think it's a very fair statement to claim that "some people feel their knowledge is too valuable," when even a casual glance around this forum will immediately show that this isn't the case at all. Plenty of folks are going out of their way to do that here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Major Player

No doubt, there is a great depth of helpful people in here. Guess I'm just bummed my thread didn't get any replies. My thread had over 150 views with not one response. If people have the time to edit other's works (to show their capabilities), then surely they have the time to participate in a nice example guide for us non-pros.

Instead of searching, which often leads to the need for another thread to be posted, I was hoping we could get a nice Guide as a "Sticky" that people can offer and add advice to.

Not all of us understand all the Guru talk and need plain ole "english" translation on how to use the manual features of the HV10.

As from my other thread, it would be nice to have a Sticky giving Non-Pro video users an idea of what settings to use.

Examples: (not that I'm expecting you alone to answer these, just examples)

What settings would you use for these settings?

1. Bright Day Sports Shot:

2. Bright Day Still Shot:

3. Cloudy Day Sports Shot:

4. Cloudy Day Still Shot:

5. Bright Day Sports Shot for Slow Motion editing:

6. Cloudy Day Sports Shot for Slow Motion editing:

7. Is "P" mode the best or is "TV" Mode.

8. What the Heck is "P" mode anyway?

If we could have user friendly guide like that to help all of us learn the features of this little powerhouse...that would be priceless.

Sorry if I sounded a bit bitter, I'm just easliy lost in all the options available with this camera and I want to get the best shots possible while my children are still young! :)
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #5
New Boot

don't forget: Studio (controlled lighting), Brad

… yes, I would be willing to pay $50 for a video tutorial about the DV10, Chris.
(I paid $1000 for the HV10 and I don't know how to use it well; would be worth it)
I think the HV10 (20 soon?) will be very popular, like the Cybershot 707/717.

This forum is excellent but I guess, nubs like me don't even know all the questions there are to be asked : )

The forum could have some sort of sticky thread (as per Brad; Wickipedia style?) with
1) the most basic advice (video illustrations of the manual?)
2) pros' testimonies of their most satisfying experiences
etc.
Laurentiu Todie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree and disagree. There are other forums out there where most of the members are amateurs. This forum on the other hand seems to have a lot of pros. As an amateur, I feel welcome here, but there is a ton of information beyond my comprehension and totally not appropriate for my applications.

While sticky's for us newb's would be nice, I can't fault the board or it's members. There is so much good information here that I rarely go to the other boards anymore.

Just about every question I've had has either been answered, found with the search function, or is already in my owner's manual.

The HV10 is an amateur's camcorder, so most pro's are probably not familiar with it.

"P" mode is automatic shutter and aperature. "TV" is manual shutter. "AV" is manual aperture. Pages 40-43 in the owner's manual give a good explanation.

I generally use manual white balance, exposure and shutter speed.

Manual white balance can improve colors especially when lighting is less than ideal.

Exposure helps when scenes are very bright or very dark. However, it does also introduce noise and grain in dark scenes. I usually dial down exposure to get rid of noise.

Shutter speed will help with fast action or dark scenes. A slow shutter speed can brighten a dark scene, but at the cost of making movement stutter. A high shutter speed is great at catching fast action, but you need good lighting.

I recommend doing a lot of experimenting and keeping the owner's manual handy.

Last edited by Ron Chau; January 31st, 2007 at 08:40 AM.
Ron Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Brad, I understand your disappointment and urge to jump into the many aspects of this demon. The way you ask your questions leads me to believe that you are not too savvy in the understanding of programmed digital exposure or have not had any experience with Canon AE programmed exposure system. Let me emphazise that there has been books written on the subject of exposure alone. In your case this will be a learning curve but you have to do a little of the homework yourself.

I think a good place to start would be http://www.dpreview.com/ and click the 1,2,3DI.com series on top of the site. I think you will find a wealth of information with examples on the different digital exposure modes like shutter priority, apperture priority and program mode. After you understand that you will be able to answer yourself what will be a good setting for sports in bright daylight or a setting for a cloudy day for a still shot. Although I am no expert, I would be doing a diservice to you if I gave you a "digested" setting for each situation without you understanding all variables involved. You need to start some serious reading.
Thanks, Hope this helps.
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks guys.

Yeah this is gonna take some learning on my part, but that's okay because it's truly an enjoyable experience when you transfer your footage into Vegas and create something so gorgeous in HD!

Thanks for the advice. The reading shall now commence.

1st book up is:

HDV "What you need to know"

Just found this on my desk with my Vegas info. Good stuff in there. A nice introduction to the world of HDV. (not to mention Mr. Chris Hurd has written the Pre-Introduction (if you will)...Kinda funny actually...I began reading the book in the bathroom (taking care of business) and I noticed his name and said "hey, that's the guy that just politely rebuked me in his forums..How Cool!" Nice piece in there Chris!

Again, thanks guys...I'm on the HDV path and I look forward to learning from all of you.

Brad

Ps. Thanks Luis...nice site!
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

I endeavor to rebuke politely.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders