Dump FX1E for HV20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dump FX1E for HV20?

I am currently using FX1E for mainly weddings but i have seen HV10 amzing sharp footages and getting mor excited about HV20.
Is it feasible to dump FX1E and get a HV20?
My main concern is not the form factor but manual controls. will i be able to manually control the belows on a HV20?
1. White Balance
2. Shutter Speed
3. Aperture
4. ND filters.

Your advices is very much needed..

ys
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Check the instruction manual (available for download elsewhere in this forum). I think you can manually adjust shutter speed, white balance, and aperture -- but there are no built-in ND filters. And these manual adjustments will be via menus & a joystick as opposed to switches and dials. It takes significantly longer to manually adjust these consumer-oriented cameras.

Personally, I think form factor is a significant consideration when it comes to weddings. Clients want to see what appears to be a camera of substance. I'm not saying this is a valid point-of-view, but it is prevalent.
C.S. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yow, be aware that the HV20 will quite possibly have worse low-light performance than the FX1E.

That said, I'm still buying one. But then I don't own any other HD cameras...

Bruce
Bruce Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I second the opinion - you will have a whole different "interface" to any functions you want/need to adjust - this isn't to say you won't be able to, but it won't be as fast.

If you ever use manual focus, the little wheelie thingy is not very efficient or effective (from HC3 experience), at least not if you're on a "one shot" gig, although it does work. I think the spot focus is better though... 8-P Please don't shoot me for finding the touchcreen interface usable <wink>, I have mine programed so it's actually very fast and effective.

That said, why not get an HV20 for a second cam if you're doing weddings?? I expect it will be pretty cheap once supply hits (the HV10 is selling well below MSRP, and the HC7 is going to be keeping prices VERY competitive).

Having a "pro" cam makes you look more professional than a "handycam" (looks do count, sadly, at least if you're asking to get paid for your work - even though it's the CAMERAMAN, not the camera that really matters...)... but as you're well aware, having a small easy to carry camera has advantages. Think where you could hide it up front for your second angle shots on a wedding shoot!

Just my .02

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Michael View Post
I think you can manually adjust shutter speed, white balance, and aperture -- but there are no built-in ND filters.
My understanding is that the HV10 (and presumably the HV20 as well) has two built-in ND gradation filters, but they aren't user controllable.
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

wow! thanks for those posts.
Not too sure how true as canon mention HV20 min lux is 3lux which is the same as FX1E but on the other hand the meausrements might be different though....
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yow Siang View Post
Not too sure how true as canon mention HV20 min lux is 3lux which is the same as FX1E but on the other hand the meausrements might be different though....

I think the Canon lux rating is based on a 1/30 shutter speed, whereas the FX1 rating is based on 1/60, plus lux ratings from Sony and Canon may not correlate for other reasons ...
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Major Player

I would suggest trying one in person if at all possible. I thought the controls for the HV10 were too small, it's too easy to fumble when adjusting the settings. The HV20's controls may be similar to this.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Major Player

I can see some real wedding value with an HV20 riding on a stabilizer like a Merlin for instance. Outdoor weddings, receptions, photo sessions come to mind. But, you still need a pro cam like an A1 or Z1 for core material. Just don't know how well HV20 footage might splice on a timeline with the other cameras though.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yow Siang View Post
I'd be pretty surprised if the HV20 doesn't produce a considerably noisier image in low light.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders