hv10 vs hv20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

hv10 vs hv20

are they using same cmos senor...becasue to my eyes hv10 seems to have more detail than hv20

this is tape capure
hv10

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...823/ezsp01.jpg

hv20
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...207/ez0139.jpg

hv10
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...823/ezsp17.jpg

hv20
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...207/ez0112.jpg
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It's difficult to compare details when the images are not exactly the same, but the HV20 seems to be a lot more noisy if you look at the sky in the first grabs.
Ron Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You would certainly think they would be the same but my HV10 is so good I'm almost afraid to try anything else. For what I use it for I don't need 24p or good audio so I'll probably just stick with it.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jung Kyu View Post
are they using same cmos senor...
Yes, both camcorders use the exact same CMOS sensor and Digic DV II processor.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So what could be causing the noise? Was AGC turned off on the HV20?
Ron Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Go Cycle

I'm holding onto my HV-10 now for sure. Under careful examination, not only is there noise but a softer picture in the HV-20. However, it does not make sense to me since the processing and chip are the same.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Trustee

There could be 100's of reasons why the footage may look different. It could be environment or the way the camera was setup.

In the first two shots to me it looks like a totally different time of day. I think the second image is around dusk or dawn. You can tell from the harsh shadows on the back side of certain objects. If the second image was shot at dusk or dawn then that may explain the tiny amount of extra noise which may in turn make the detail not seem as high. Besides the seasons are not even the same. In one image the trees are bare and the other image is full of bright green leaves.

Like I said there could be 100 things that were different when these shots were taken.

The only way to judge anything would be to put a HV10 and HV20 side by side in the same environment and shoot at the same time with the same settings to see if one look better then the other.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post

Like I said there could be 100 things that were different when these shots were taken.

The only way to judge anything would be to put a HV10 and HV20 side by side in the same environment and shoot at the same time with the same settings to see if one look better then the other.
I couldn't agree more. There are just too many variables involved with the comparison in this thread.

Mike
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #9
Trustee

I'm with Tom. In fact in the first pix, I see a bit more detail in the trees at the horizon with the HV20, but more detail in the structure at the left with the HV10. As Tom said, different seasons, different times....just too many variables.

We'll know soon enough.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders