Any HV20 owners(or potential owners) looked at the sample videos of JVC's GZ-HD7? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 31st, 2007, 05:30 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I've compared the samples of the JVC and the Canon (both the same sample of the candles and swinging silver balls from the Jap review) and to be very honest, I find there to be more noise on the JVC side of things.... not as crisp as the canon sample either.

Something else weird... I use Power DVD for all of my MPG viewing... it does a better job then my Nero player. But powerDVD would not play the MPG samples I downloaded. This is the first time I have ever seen PowerDVD fail to play a mpeg. I had no choice but to use Nero. JVC did mention a slightly different mpg structure being used on this cam....something to be aware of anyway.

This I think is a bit of weight off my shoulders... for a while there... I was wondering if I made the right decision in purchasing the Canon and not waiting for JVC samples!
George Anthonisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:40 AM   #17
Trustee

George, that's the kind of thing I was talking about...compatibility. Some people think all mpeg2 streams are alike...they're not and they'll be in for a surprise if they think so.

I also downloaded the 174mg clip and I thought it was OK, nothing special. I saw some noise and artifacting, but when viewing clips like this (unless you have a native m2t stream) you can never be sure what the camera was responsible for and what the methodology of getting it to the internet was responsible for. Either way I'd bet the bank it won't be as good as the best HDV camcorders for pure picture quality. No reason to trade for greater inconvenience. ;)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:44 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Anthonisen View Post
Something else weird... I use Power DVD for all of my MPG viewing... it does a better job then my Nero player. But powerDVD would not play the MPG samples I downloaded. This is the first time I have ever seen PowerDVD fail to play a mpeg. I had no choice but to use Nero. JVC did mention a slightly different mpg structure being used on this cam....something to be aware of anyway.
Do you have the latest version of PowerDVD? Because that’s the player I used to determine the bit rate and it works perfectly fine. You can also try the latest version of DIVX.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:58 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I saw some noise and artifacting, but when viewing clips like this (unless you have a native m2t stream) you can never be sure what the camera was responsible for and what the methodology of getting it to the internet was responsible for.
I agree

Like I also mentioned in the HD7 thread, I’m almost certain it was the NLE. This is what is says under the 174MB file.
“Animated picture sample. With smart rendering mode of attachment software "PowerDirector 5 NE Express" you could see the fluctuation of chroma level while cutting and fold, re-rendering you did”
The bit rate dips to below 8mbps in the duck scene so that should prove that it’s the NLE. Even the 34.5MB file of the model doesn’t have the pixilation effect that the model had in the 174MB file.

I hope it really is the NLE because this can be a problem.
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:10 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
Do you have the latest version of PowerDVD? Because that’s the player I used to determine the bit rate and it works perfectly fine. You can also try the latest version of DIVX.
Yeah... I updated Powerdvd and that solved the problem.
George Anthonisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:56 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Is it possible, with a camera like this, to drag and drop the files from the cameras hard drive to your computer?
Jacob Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:23 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Carter View Post
Is it possible, with a camera like this, to drag and drop the files from the cameras hard drive to your computer?
Yes, that’s one of the selling points of this camcorder.
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:38 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
Yes, that’s one of the selling points of this camcorder.
Thanks.

I am very curious to see some real footage shot by the members of this forum after the camera is released.

It is tough to judge this camera by the samples posted so far.
Jacob Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #24
New Boot

Links to HD7 sample video in this thread

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...&highlight=hd7
Tibor Duliskovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #25
Regular Crew

my 2cts...

with only a slight amout of exaggeration, I can say that my profession, web design, has (amongst other things) taught me the Love for the Pixel. In this area that is dominated by the quest for crisp screen display, there is this golden rule: never upscale a picture (unless you absolutely have to).

For me, this is the beauty of the HV10/20. The vertical resolution is 1:1 what gets to be recorded on tape. As I get it, the mentioned HD7 upscales from 1016 x 558 up to 1920x1080. Even though pixelshifting partly compensates for this, it will result in blurryness. It's still a huge amount of "making stuff up" and "putting stuff together" in the cam.
Next, while the 3CCD setup will indeed get you higher color resolution, but color compression takes that advantage away by a significant amount.

(finally here's a reminder not to get me started on the horrible 6.1MP still resolution indication that Sony "boasts" on their 3MP HC7.)

Am I being too dogmatic on this? If so, plz someone help me out, thanks :)
Pieter
Pieter Jongerius is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders