DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 questions re audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/90784-hv20-questions-re-audio.html)

Elmer Lang April 5th, 2007 02:10 PM

HV20 questions re audio

I'm considering a purchase of the HV20 and I was curious if there is significant noise picked up by the on-board mic from the motor or when zooming? Is it louder than the HV10? Will an external mic pick it up?

Will most mics fit in the mount?

Will a mic with xlr adaptor be unbalanced or have added noise?

best,
elmer

Thomas Emmerich April 5th, 2007 09:39 PM

HV20 questions re audio

I can hear the noise picked up by the built-in mic. The only thing I can compare to is a Panasonic PV-GS250. The HV20 is louder. However, my experience with the HV20 is limited to about 20 minutes of recording so far.

John Godden April 5th, 2007 10:03 PM

"Internal" mikes really suffer on small camcorders. If you want good audio you must use an 'external' mike.

JohnG

Elmer Lang April 5th, 2007 10:27 PM

Yes, external mic is the way to go, but I worry even that will pick up motor noise.

Dennis Vogel April 6th, 2007 08:54 PM

For the best results get your external mic off the cam and close to your subject. The distance from a person's mouth to a mic for the best audio is measured in inches, not feet. This is true for SD, HD and whatever else comes along.

Good luck.

Dennis

Peter J Alessandria April 7th, 2007 08:56 AM

Anyone have any ideas on which Beachtek adapter would work best with the HV20? http://www.beachtek.com/

Roland Gatto April 7th, 2007 09:26 AM

Peter,

Harry at Beachtek said the following:

"We are working with Canon in the US find an appropriate adapter for this
model. It looks like our DXA-2s Compact Adapter will fit this camera the
best."

Harry is really helpful and responds to emails instantly! His email address is beachtek@bellnet.ca

Peter J Alessandria April 7th, 2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Gatto (Post 655731)
Peter,

Harry at Beachtek said the following:

"We are working with Canon in the US find an appropriate adapter for this
model. It looks like our DXA-2s Compact Adapter will fit this camera the
best."

Harry is really helpful and responds to emails instantly! His email address is beachtek@bellnet.ca

Actually got two emails from Harry today (Sat.) He recommends the DXA-2s if you don't need phantom power or

"If you require phantom power, then our DXA-6 adapter would be ideal for the HV20. The DXA-FX adapter is only designed to work with the Sony FX1 or FX7 camcorders." [from Harry's email]

(I asked about an adapter with mic preamps)

Roger Garcia April 8th, 2007 05:18 PM

HV Questions re audio

I'm thinking of using my Sennheiser MKE 300 mic on the HV 20. Has anyone tried this combo? Using the MKE 300 on my Sony HVR A1U produced a lot of vibration noise etc and I wonder if it's the same with HV 20?

Thanks.

Elmer Lang April 8th, 2007 05:22 PM

I tried the MKE 300 on an HV20 and it was picking up motor noise and fast zooms.

Roger Garcia April 8th, 2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmer Lang (Post 656354)
I tried the MKE 300 on an HV20 and it was picking up motor noise and fast zooms.

Thanks- that's a pity. Looks like I'll have to go with a proper mount and my shotgun then : )

Elmer Lang April 8th, 2007 08:54 PM

Hey Roger, if I was you I'd still try the MKE 300 since you have one and all, your experience might be different than mine! And if it was, you could post your experience.

Chris Barcellos April 8th, 2007 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Though I haven't tried it yet, this is what the Beachtech DXA-4 looks like,mounted to the HV20. See photo attached.

Elmer Lang April 8th, 2007 09:36 PM

Hey, Chris, lookin' good!

Will that setup limit you to handheld, maybe it's the angle, but I don't see how you could put it on a tripod? Either way, I look forward to your comments, I've been enjoying your 'Sony User Tries Canon HV20' thread each step of the way!!

best,
elmer

Chris Barcellos April 8th, 2007 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Elmer:

The adapters that are made to bolt on to the bottom of a camera, have a have the same thread underneath that is on your camera. See the picture attached. This week sometime I plan to try the rig with my Sennheiser ME66 attached. Biggest issue I see is the potential for mic, due to length, protruding to far into picture frame...