Question about WD-h43 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM   #16
Regular Crew

So I measured the WD-H46 that I use with my HV20 (with a step-up ring) and get 67-68mm diameter. What are my options for a lens hood?
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM   #17
Regular Crew

been researching and now we know of at least 2 matteboxes/sunshades that will fit the hv20:

the matteblox dv since it's adjustable(possibly HD version as well)
and the indiesnap(www.indiesnap.com). i've been trading emails w/ them and they have a $30 adaptor which will need to be ordered in addition to their mattebox to fit w/ the various wide angles. total cost will be $229 compared to steve's $99 matteblox dv.

there's also the posibility of the cavision LH77 which costs $39. no confirmation on that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Albinson View Post
So I measured the WD-H46 that I use with my HV20 (with a step-up ring) and get 67-68mm diameter. What are my options for a lens hood?
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM   #18
Regular Crew

OK, I feel a little silly, on the inside of the lens cap for the Canon WD-H43 it says the lens is 74.5mm diameter (like I measured). Cavision said they didn't recommend the 77 and they would see if they had something they could mock up. I have a 80mm hood and would need about a 5mm clamping ring. They said they would get back with me.
Tim Homola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hey, mine says 67mm! Well I'll be! Does anyone think there are major differences between the HD46 and the HD43, apart from the size?
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:17 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Outside of bigger glass almost always being better, I don't think anyone has posted side-by-side shots to compare.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:47 PM   #21
Major Player

keep in mind the h46 was made for an sd camera (specifically the optura line), and the h43 was made to resolve hi-def video. whether or not the h43 is better, i can't say as i haven't used either at the moment.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #22
Regular Crew

tim, any update on the LH77?

spoke to cinetactics and he suggested the matteblox DV over the HD. he also mentioned that the sale will end at the end of the month. i'm seriously considering steve's setup over the indiesnap because of price. but would like to know if the LH77 maybe an option.
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #23
Regular Crew

No word yet, I'll call Cavision again today.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Montoto View Post
The Rover that I have is called the Ultimate Rover... I think you can still find them at videosmith I think.
Don't see the Ultimate listed anywhere...

Also, I picked up a WDH43 - very impressed with the quality. However I notice a much more contrasty image using the adapter, esp. at the wide end. Anyone else see this? Reminds of the Canon EOS still camera "L" lenses. These professional lenses create a much more contrasty image than regular lenses. I needed to turn down the contrast on my HV20 to compensate. But I like the angle of view on WDH43, though barrel distortion is pretty noticeable at the wide end of the zoom. It's fully zoom-thru and I will probably keep it on the camera full time now. (Also, along with my Azden SMX-10, the WDH43 makes the camera a bit more professional looking for anyone doing work for clients.)
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Talked to Cavision again. They suggested either the LH-77 or the 80 I already have (from my HC-1) and some foam tape. Not ideal but it should work.

Peter, How do you like your mic compared to the Canon DM-50. It would be nice to not have wires but the Canon is double the weight. How does performance comare?
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Homola View Post
Peter, How do you like your mic compared to the Canon DM-50. It would be nice to not have wires but the Canon is double the weight. How does performance comare?
Can't say as I haven't used the Canon - but at half the weight and price the Azden's fine for me. In my preliminary tests at least, the sound is excellent.
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J Alessandria View Post
Don't see the Ultimate listed anywhere...

Also, I picked up a WDH43 - very impressed with the quality. However I notice a much more contrasty image using the adapter, esp. at the wide end. Anyone else see this? Reminds of the Canon EOS still camera "L" lenses. These professional lenses create a much more contrasty image than regular lenses. I needed to turn down the contrast on my HV20 to compensate. But I like the angle of view on WDH43, though barrel distortion is pretty noticeable at the wide end of the zoom. It's fully zoom-thru and I will probably keep it on the camera full time now. (Also, along with my Azden SMX-10, the WDH43 makes the camera a bit more professional looking for anyone doing work for clients.)
Peter,

I bought this thing about 3 years ago, you might want to contact videosmith directly and see if its still even offered. It is called the ultimate rover but your right, I didnt see it anywhere on their site either. Possible falling-out with Beachtek? Dunno.

Steve

EDIT: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=161243&is=REG

Looks like its discontinued =( thats too bad because I really like it.
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Anyone interested in renting their WD-H43?

They're back ordered everywhere. Need it next week. Preferably with splashbag! If so, email Cici Clark at ciciclark82@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Montoto View Post
Peter,

I bought this thing about 3 years ago, you might want to contact videosmith directly and see if its still even offered. It is called the ultimate rover but your right, I didnt see it anywhere on their site either. Possible falling-out with Beachtek? Dunno.

Steve

EDIT: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=161243&is=REG

Looks like its discontinued =( thats too bad because I really like it.
Steve - I went with the Beachtek DXA-2s. Seems to work really well and I like that it mounts under the camera.

Also - an update on the Azden SMX-10. I'm now rating it's sound quality as "good" rather than excellent. For $69 it's a good alternative to the built-in mic, but compared to my AT897, which I recently discovered will fit on the HV20 no problem [won't extend into frame even with the Canon WD-H43], the SMX-10 kinda sucks wind. Still, I'm using it as my family/travel mic. Saving the AT897 for more serious work.
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Question about the AT897

Peter, as I'm waiting on my Azden 200 XLR wireless I'm still thinkin' that I want to have a boom mic in my bag. I just shot an outdoor bluegrass event today in the park and the sound was terrible with the crowd chatter that was picked up. Had I had that AT 897 or the Azden 200, I would have probably been OK. I was about 12 feet from one of the speakers but it didn't cut it like it does at a big festival with big speakes.

What's a good price on that AT. It looks like it's over $200 at most places. I guess you have to plug that guy into your Beachtek for phantom power. How does the Beachtek provide phantom when your in the field? A couple 9 volts or something? Does it have an XLR or just a small jack that you would plug right into the camera?
John Hotze is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders