Intensity doesn't support HV20 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Closed Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Colquitt View Post
Thanks, Mike.

Step one: Intensity support for the HV20

Step two: Intensity support for monitoring ProRes timelines

If those two things happen, I'm ready to give it a go.
Step 2: Check. :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #47
Regular Crew

O_o

im not sure by reading this thread if there was ever an answer, but the canon HV20 does indeed work perfectly with the black magic intensity HDMI input.

we caputured a bunch of footage using the mjpeg codec at 24p (the camera wraps the footage as 60i of course). weve been doing pulldown in after effects because premiere cant manage that. the quality of the codec is amazing, infinitely better than HDV especially on fast motion and high contrast. what would rock now is if the card could do pulldown on the fly.

im in the process of designing a small box that will connect the black magic card to a notebook express card slot (its basically a cable with an expresscard on one end and a x1 slot on the other). this should make everything nice and portable for shooting with the mjpeg compression. im working on a way to get a notebook to save uncompressed as well, but thats more challenging.

i see other are concerned with portability as well, so if anyone would is interested in this little express box, post here and i may be persuaded to make it a priority project.

later,
terence
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Count me in, Terence. I've been looking for an Intensity type option that I could take on the road.
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Is the capture footage 1920x1080?
Is it possible to capture on a PC, using Vegas? or Cineform?
Do you support the PAL HV20, 25p?
I would be interested in your notebook solution.
Patrick
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #50
Regular Crew

- Is the capture footage 1920x1080?
yup, its full 1920x1080 60i. it bypasses the tape compression if you capture live.

- Is it possible to capture on a PC, using Vegas? or Cineform?
never used vegas or cineform, ill leave that to someone else to answer.
we captured in adobe premiere pro 1.5 and cs3. both are fine for 60i, but for 24p you have to save out and do the pulldown in another software such as after effects (pain in the a**).

- Do you support the PAL HV20, 25p?
no idea here, dont have pal settings on our camera.

- I would be interested in your notebook solution.
2 already eh? ill mock up a spec and estimated price for this box in the next week. its a passive device so it should be relatively cheap with enough volume.

terence
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Me too Terence RE that expresscard -> PCIe 1x box.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Hold the presses...

I thought the Black Magic Intensity card had HDCP issues and it did *not* work with the HV20?

Are you saying that it works!?

What changed? Was there a new firmware release for the HV20? Software update for the Intensity card?

If this is not an April Fools joke (a bit late) put me down for a laptop solution as well!

Thanks!

Rob Robinson
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #53
Regular Crew

our hv20 was bought last week along with the card.

its possible that older versions of the cam/card didnt like each other, i have no idea. i just know that what we have works flawlessly.

the notebook thing isnt an april fools joke. the expresscard slot on most new notebooks is a pci express x1 and usb 2 interface combined. its possible to map the pins back to a standard x1 slot with a little effort. thats what im doing, then stuffing the x1 slot in a small case sized specifically for the intensity and using a cable to connect back to the pc. it will be something like a portable 2.5" hard drive in size/shape.

ill try to get a mock up done asap, but im swamped with work til mid next week so i doubt it will be before then.

terence
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #54
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
expresscard -> PCIe 1x box.
A commercial solution will be available for this pretty soon (though it's pretty expensive, retail price is around 700-800$!):
http://www.magma.com/products/pciexpress/expressbox1/
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #55
Regular Crew

yup, thats what motivated me to do this. thats ones big and clunky and needs external ac power. mine will be more usable for carrying on your person and dedicated solely to the intensity.

it should also be cheaper (i hope)

terence
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Terence... put me down for one too.... :-)

Also, on the Intensity card, is it the standard or Pro card... what software version are you running with the card?
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Green View Post
According to the manual, not necessarily. Here's what it says:

Page 69
"Correct operations cannot be guaranteed when connecting the camcorder to DVI monitors."

And more ominous:

"Some HDTV's have their HDCP digital content protection configured so as not to allow the playback of personal content (video recorded for personal uses). If you cannot play back the video recorded with this camcorder on your HDTV using the HDMI connection, try connecting the camcorder using the video component connection -1connection type- instead."
I just got my HV20 a couple weeks ago and I wanted to see how the first video I shot looked. I connected it to my 32" HD monitor via the HDMI and it played and looked fine. I believe my monitor is 14xx by 1080 so it couldn't have played the full 19XX but I thought it looked pretty good.
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #58
Regular Crew

were using the standard, dont have need for the analogue (i imagine some people do though) driver version is 1.3

terence
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #59
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Terence,

You wrote : "this should make everything nice and portable for shooting with the mjpeg compression."

be warned that the M-JPEG codecs in general have a lot of edge artifacts, therefore are not commonly used today in post unless very high data rate are used. Attached is a comparison but CineForm High quality and the Blackmagic MJPEG codec. Here is right up by another user that compared the to :
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....56&postcount=1
Please make sure you allow user to select nicer codecs.

P.S. CineForm has pulldown extraction to 24p from the Intensity card as a feature of all our products.
Attached Thumbnails
Intensity doesn't support HV20-mjpegvscineform.png  
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Terence,

You wrote : "this should make everything nice and portable for shooting with the mjpeg compression."

be warned that the M-JPEG codecs in general have a lot of edge artifacts, therefore are not commonly used today in post unless very high data rate are used. Attached is a comparison but CineForm High quality and the Blackmagic MJPEG codec. Here is right up by another user that compared the to :
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....56&postcount=1
Please make sure you allow user to select nicer codecs.

P.S. CineForm has pulldown extraction to 24p from the Intensity card as a feature of all our products.

yeah, i second that. use cineform. otherwise when i buy your box i'm just going to have to go through an extra step to convert it to that. :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders