Intensity doesn't support HV20 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Closed Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #61
Regular Crew

hey there.

im just making a box :) it will be up to the user to config their laptop the way they please. compression(of some kind) is only a must at this point only due to hard disk performance limits (25-30mb/s sustained write for the fastest notebook drives).

if someone would make a notebook with 2 express card slots, this would not be an issue as a "pocket" raid system could be added.

does cineform work with the canon hv20? from what i read on your site, you need prospect hd to get the 10 bit 1920x1080, and that canon 24p was not supported "yet". as well, small notebooks are usually limited to 1.6-2.1ghz dual cores at the moment, your minimim specs on your site would stress these little ones to the limit.

we were looking into cineform as a possible solution for pulldown removal on the fly. any thoughts?

terence.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #62
Regular Crew

me want express box. uga uga....
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #63
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Krueger View Post
does cineform work with the canon hv20? from what i read on your site, you need prospect hd to get the 10 bit 1920x1080, and that canon 24p was not supported "yet". as well, small notebooks are usually limited to 1.6-2.1ghz dual cores at the moment, your minimim specs on your site would stress these little ones to the limit.

we were looking into cineform as a possible solution for pulldown removal on the fly. any thoughts?

terence.
We support the HV20 if the Intensity does, we haven't confirmed if new Blackmagic drivers address the HV20 yet. Of course your box would also work with the Sony V1 which is confirmed to work fine with CineForm pulldown and real-time compression.

For capture a user could use NEO HDV which will encode to 1440x1080 (resizing the source to fit the encoder license) or NEO HD for 1920x1080. Both less expensive than a Prospect HD licence for Premiere. As for the minimum system specs, they are old, modern systems do very well at lower clock speed. I would expect most 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo laptops would hande 24p encoding. My 2.33Ghz Dell laptop encodes 1920x1080 at 36+fps for high quality and 39+fps for medium -- this is for extremely demanding StEM footage, data from consumer cameras is easier.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #64
Tourist

Hey Terence, put me down for one of those boxes as well. Sweet.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #65
Major Player

I believe it has been said in other threads that most of these cameras only output 8bit over HDMI anyway so cineform not supporting more wont be a big thing, if anything, that's less data to deal with. Or is cineform expanding it the 8bit to 10bit anyway? I, too, am very interested in whether core2duo mobile processors in the 1.6-2.13ghz range are adequate for capturing from the intensity from an hv20. Perhaps in low quality mode? 2.33ghz core2duo mobile cpus are $600+ just for the cpu, and the 2.0 ghz version is like 1/3 the price. I guess overclocking might be an option for some. But if it is not necessary for capturing, it could make a big difference. I am interested in building a portable miniITX capture device using the intensity, so knowing exactly what cpu will give us the results we want for the lowest price will help a lot. Unfortunately I doubt many ITX boards can be easily overclocked. As much as i'd love to buy neo hd and an intensity card and test it on various mobile processors, I dont think I have the disposable income to afford it if the cpu's I buy dont end up being enough for reliable capture.

NEO HD seems a bit pricey even for all the things it does. David, any cineform fanboy discounts for posting on forums all day about how great cineform codecs are? :P Is it possible to use NEO HDV to capture from the intensity? will that just force resizing to 1440x1080? or are there also other limitations?
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #66
Major Player

btw i think i tried using some trial cineform software to convert 24p@1080i hdv to cineform 24p (with inverse pulldown) on my core2duo mobile 2.0ghz cpu and it seemed to be able to do so in a little less time than the length of the clip (just faster than realtime). It was close, so im not sure I'd trust it, but capturing from HDMI might be easier on the cpu since its not decoding hdv while encoding cineform at the same time. it was something like 20sec to convert 27sec of hdv. im not sure if im remembering some of that correctly, but its a start.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #67
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes Noah, it is very good sign that you can convert an MPEG faster than real-time. Your laptop will have no issues live capturing. As for the cost, there is always someone you thinks we charge too much, yet last month the equivalent to NEO HD was $3000, and still a good deal, so $599 is a steal. Remember there is not equivalent on the market today. As for 8-bit vs 10-bit, we upconvert all sources to 10-bit, it just looks better. Yes NEO HDV ($249) will also work with the Intensity, automatically resizing to 1440x1080.

We have plenty of fanboys, we don't need to give up $$$ to recruit more. ;)
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Hey Blackmagic company folk, since you're reading this thread, I hope you have noticed the lengths we are going to in order to get an Intensity card attached to a laptop... why don't you just make an Expresscard version?

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #69
Regular Crew

david, ill try the demo for neo hd and test the pulldown removal on the hv20. if it works and can be happy on a 2ghz core 2 duo, then it sounds like a very viable option.

price is always a concern, but you have to weigh it against what you are gaining. realtime pulldown removal and higher quality compression can justify $600 for alot of people who need to make money of the process.

im sure ill get a few people telling me the expresscard box is too expensive and want a fanboy discount :-P

terence.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Terence -

> so if anyone would is interested in this little express box, post here and i may be persuaded to make it a priority project.

I'll take one!

- Rick Thornquist
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Krueger View Post
our hv20 was bought last week along with the card.

its possible that older versions of the cam/card didnt like each other, i have no idea. i just know that what we have works flawlessly.

terence
I just confirmed with Black Magic (from Kristian Lam) that they have not made any changes to their card and still claim that it doesn't work.

"Intensity is currently not compatible with the HV20's HDMI output for capturing 1080 video. We're still investigating."

Perhaps then there is new firmware on your HV20? Can you verify the firmware on your camera or perhaps the serial #? I wonder if Canon was able to change the firmware on newer shipments?

Thanks!

Rob Robinson
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
Hey Blackmagic company folk, since you're reading this thread, I hope you have noticed the lengths we are going to in order to get an Intensity card attached to a laptop... why don't you just make an Expresscard version?

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com
That would be AWESOME!

Rob Robinson
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #73
Major Player

I don't know if anyone already asked..but Terence, can you provide us a sample video from your test shoot?
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #74
Major Player

I know cineform is a steal considering there really isnt anything else that does what it can do. I just wish i could buy it now, but I probably wont be able to justify it until I have a real project that requires it. If it worked for OSX, I would have tried to get the company I work for to buy it instead of buying our expensive xserve raid for uncompressed HD. Unfortunately "uncompressed" seems to be a buzzword for a lot of people. the buzzword really should be "visually lossless". of course we had to downres and convert all our 2k dpx's to uncompressed HD just to get one stream to playback on our new $20k edit station. Makes you really appreciate what prospect/neo 2k does.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #75
Tourist

I've been monitoring the Blackmagic site daily for a software/firmware upgrade to the Intensity card. Software version still at 1.3 which was released March 21, 2007.

http://blackmagic-design.com/support/software/
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders