Flower Timelaps and Bee Macro Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 25th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Flower Timelaps and Bee Macro Footage

Just trying out the new cam. Fun.

Stalking a Bee while it mollests my apple tree blossoms
http://208.109.166.78/misc/beetime.zip

Cactus Bloom at 20,000% speed
http://208.109.166.78/misc/cactus8k.mov.zip

Last edited by Jason Brown; April 25th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
Jason Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #2
Contributor

problems playing...

looks like the bee time one isn't working. it says searching for data in "beetime.mov" as well as "Newborn.m4a" make sure it's not a ref movie.
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #3
New Boot

That bee footage is really nice. Is that macro with the stock HV20 lens or is there a macro adapter on there? How far from the bee were you?

I wasn't able to open either in quicktime, but they did play fine with the VLC media player.
Mike Scotchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Great macro footage and time laps. Would love to know how you did both of those. :) Thanks for sharing.

Just like others i had some strange anomalies with the macro footage. But managed to get it to play good enough to watch.
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Excellent footage Jason. Especially like the shots of the bee. Must have been a tame bee to let you get that close.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm terribly sorry about that guys. I was lazy and edited it all just in quicktime pro and didn't see that i was resourcing the audio track and a 2nd clip instead of imbeding. I had to Save As instead of just Save to flatten it completly. I've tested it in Windows (parallels) as well now and works fine. I updated to link in the first post.

the bee footage was done with the stock lens and handheld. so my camera was about 1 inch from the bee. he paid very little attention to me.
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey Jas, did you get nervous getting that close to the bee? Nice stuff though.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brown View Post
the bee footage was done with the stock lens and handheld. so my camera was about 1 inch from the bee. he paid very little attention to me.
As a beekeeper, I have to tell you that 'she' paid very little attention to you. (hehe)

Male bees, known as drones, have no stinger, and their proboscis is too short to gather nectar. They do have very large eyes so that they can find the queen to mate with her on her mating flight (the only time she leaves the hive unattended). The sad part is, the male that mates with the queen pays for it with his life. Another sad note for drones is that they can't do any work to maintain the hive so when winter comes and it's time to downsize, guess who gets kicked out into the cold to die.

The reason 'she' paid very little attention to you is because she is not guarding her hive and has no interest in stinging you unless you grab her or she feels like she is getting squished. She will die if she stings and survival instinct means using it as a last resort.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Great info Greg. Thanks.

I didnt get very nervous Ken after the first couple of flowers. I did jump back twice when she flew towards me but that was to get to this other flower. I spent about 8min recording her and must have flew to 20 different flowers in that time.
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brown View Post
Great info Greg. Thanks.
I downloaded the video after my DSL connection came back up. Very nice! This HV20 is a winner afaik.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #11
New Boot

Jason, would you be so kind as to break down in more detail how you achieved the time lapse? Was it in camera or post-production? Also, white balance and aperture don't seem to be changing as the light changes. How did you adjust that?

Thanks a lot.
Ray Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I set the camera infront of the flower for 1 hour and hit record. I set the aperture manually to F8 and set Manual focus. I then imported my footgate into final cut and dragged my video onto the timeline and rightclicked on the clicp and selected speed and entered 60000%. Saved it out as a MOV. I didn't touch white balance in camera or post. it was set to automatic.

I did a new time lapse today of just one flower.

http://208.109.166.78/misc/cactussolo1080p.zip
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #13
Major Player

very nice Jason. Thanks for sharing in depth info. Its great to learn that your macro stuff was done with a stock HV20 and nothing else! Steller camera. getting your second Timelaps now. :)
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Yeah these are fantastic videos! I'm curious what your shutter speed was on the bee video. Downloading your next one, and please keep posting these "stock HV20" videos... it's great to see how things look out of the box. I'm 90% sold on this camera over any other.
Steve Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #15
Major Player

amazing footage

Im am struggling to keep my footage is such sharp focus while zoomed in
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders