Røde Videomic vs Røde SVM (Stereo VideoMic) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Røde Videomic vs Røde SVM (Stereo VideoMic)

Besides the obvious stereo vs mono issue, anyone have any experience of using both of these? I will mount the mic on top of the camera mostly. Is stereo overkill? Aren't most if not all boom mics mono? How big is the Røde SVM (Stereo VideoMic) compared to the Videomic. I really like the visual look of the Videomic more but stereo is stereo, right?
Sorry for the onslaught of questions.
Taj
Taj Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #2
New Boot

I bought the VideoMic and then returned it for a Stereo VideoMic.

Although the stereo version weighs twice as much, I prefered the form factor over the VideoMic when attached to my HV20.

Also, I didn't like the way the VideoMic wobbled in the shockmount. The stereo mic is centered in its mount, the mono version flops from side to side.

I will be using the mic mostly indoors, and also as a tabletop mounted mic for interviews, so the stereo version was the better choice for me (albeit $100 more costly)

The build quality of the stereo mic is particularly nice compared to the mono mic.
Alan Zenreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Alan for taking the time to reply.. that's exactly what I wanted to hear :-)
Taj Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders