manual exposure in Cine Mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 15th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Tourist

manual exposure in Cine Mode?

Hi,
Can I just clarify if I have any manual control over exposure once I enter Cine Mode.
thanks,
Wayne
Wayne Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes you can.
Mike Thomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

The same EXP lock function works in CINE mode. You cannot separately adjust the iris and aperture, and you can't control gain, but you can at least lock the exposure.

The #1 thing to do is to get a mini-SD memory card and keep it installed at all times. Then you can press the PHOTO button halfway down and it'll tell you the current iris and shutter speed it's selected. Then you use the EXP button to slide the exposure up or down to find a balance of shutter, iris, and gain that you find acceptable.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you for clarifying this. I've been trying to use this 'lock exposure' fucntion but it's always dimmed and diasbled. I had no idea the SD card (or lack there of) was the reason. Gotta get myself a miniSD card right away.

Thank you.
Euisung Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euisung Lee View Post
Thank you for clarifying this. I've been trying to use this 'lock exposure' fucntion but it's always dimmed and diasbled. I had no idea the SD card (or lack there of) was the reason. Gotta get myself a miniSD card right away.

Thank you.
I had the same problem too. Went to best buy and picked a card up for around $12. I didn't care what size it was since I wont use it for pictures I just wanted the manual features.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Castillo View Post
I had the same problem too. Went to best buy and picked a card up for around $12. I didn't care what size it was since I wont use it for pictures I just wanted the manual features.
I feel like I have to clarify something here for future visitors, as they might get it wrong:

You don't need a miniSD to be able to lock the exposure. Exposure control is fully available with no memory card installed. So the card won't give you more manual features - it only gives you the possibility to get more info from the cam by pressing the PHOTO button and displaying the actual shutter speed and iris.

Euisung Lee: as of why you weren't able to lock the exposure before installing a memory card, I have no idea. The lack of the card itself couldn't have been the reason, though.
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

And in Cinemode it is limited what manual control you have.

In PAL land, you can do f/1.8 - f/8.0 with 1/50s shutter speed.
In less light, you first add some gain for 2 or 3 f-stops worth, before the shutter speed start to slow down.

For more light, shutter speed increases, and you stay at f/8. At very bright loght, you will get lower aperture, I have seen f/22 listed. Not sure if it is ND filter, or negative gain in software.
Povl H. Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #8
Major Player

I have noticed that cinemode in 25p changes the shutter speed downwards in lower light but cinemode in 50i does not. For me the shutter seems to stick at 50 no matter what I do!
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders