HV20 Stream files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #1
New Boot

HV20 Stream files

I have two questions about the files that Premiere generates after a capture from the HV20:

1\Why Premiere saves them as mpeg files? Isn't it supposed to save them as m2t? How can I resolve this?

2\Is there a way to read the settings I used in a video from the acquired file? Shutter, aperture etch.

Thanks in advance.
Daniele Lauretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniele Lauretti View Post
I have two questions about the files that Premiere generates after a capture from the HV20:

1\Why Premiere saves them as mpeg files? Isn't it supposed to save them as m2t? How can I resolve this?

2\Is there a way to read the settings I used in a video from the acquired file? Shutter, aperture etch.

Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure I read that m2t files are mpg. You can even rename an m2t to mpg.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hotze View Post
I'm pretty sure I read that m2t files are mpg. You can even rename an m2t to mpg.
They are indeed a variant of an MPEG file, but just converting the extension to mpg will not necessarily make it playable. For example, on the Mac systems, that will not suddenly make Quicktime able to play back the m2t without an appropriate codec (if anyone knows of one, please list it).

I've used VLC player (available for a whole variety of platforms) to view .m2t files without much issue.

As for Daniele Lauretti's concern, I wouldn't really worry about the format that's captured. I'm fairly sure there is no extra level of compression added in the capture process between saving .M2T or .MPG, and if you are planning on working with Premiere files it would probably be better to continue working with .MPG files anyway.

As for the second question, I think that if you have a mini-SD card in your HV20 and you snap a picture while filming (maybe this will work when playing back too?) the picture will have the EXIF data for the aperture, shutter speed and other information, but I don't think that you will be able to get the data from the MPEG file itself.
Kelly OHara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes Premiere will capture the file as .mpeg. M2T is another MPEG file type (transport stream). I would suggest best way to capture is to use a free tool called HDVsplit. It will capture the file in .m2t file extension. Just google it!

Premiere consumes way too much overhead. I hated it Premiere automatically import the new capture file to the current project and force the conforming process.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders