Sunny Day! 24P Low light and Handheld Test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sunny Day! 24P Low light and Handheld Test

Finally got around to this. Not as much movie magic as last time because I'm busy with some paying projects.

Someone on forum asked me to shoot a lowlight test and a handheld test with 1/48 Shutter, 24P

I actually shot 2 separate tests. Both handheld, second WMV is low light test.

First Test "Sunny Day"
http://solomonchase.com/HV20/handheld.wmv EDIT: 1st CLIP UPDATED: Fixed interlace, added more panning shots

Second Test "Concert"
http://solomonchase.com/HV20/concert.wmv (in the last band shot the camera is sitting on table)

Last edited by Solomon Chase; May 23rd, 2007 at 11:00 AM.
Solomon Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:54 AM   #2
New Boot

How do you avoid image noisy when shooting in dark?

Hi Solomon, I've seen your video tests and was amazed by your shooting.
I can hardly find visible noise point in your low light test. While these image noisy was inevitable when I shot out at night.(I used "Auto" mode with 24p.)
So would you pls tell me how to avoid these noisy? Adjust shutter speed using shutter prior mode OR using post edit technique?
Victor Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

looks great!

did you lock the shutter at 1/48 and then manually adjust aperture? your setup process would be much appreciated! also, do you have before after shots of the outdoor stuff and what you did in vegas for the CC? i never get great results from vegas...don't know why.
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Great looking clips. The night one was a bit shakey, but nice colour correction. I'm guessing the girl at the ATM machine was waving to you!?

The sunny day clip looked great aswell. The bird part was funny. You actually climbed the tree to grab that shot?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas View Post
Great looking clips. The night one was a bit shakey, but nice colour correction. I'm guessing the girl at the ATM machine was waving to you!?

The sunny day clip looked great aswell. The bird part was funny. You actually climbed the tree to grab that shot?
:) Yes. I climbed a tree.

The band was "Cool Hand Luke"

Shutter was locked 1/48 and I think 1/24 for a shot or two. Exposure locked and adjusted manually.

Adam, there is a before and after on my first footage thread. It was basically a subtle S-curve on blue, and large highlight curve on red and green. footage was underexposed for more latitude.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

EDIT: 1st CLIP UPDATED: Fixed interlace, added more panning shots
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey Solomon,

Great stuff, really really great. Had a question though, what was your process for de-interlacing? Your 24p (of the recently edited handheld.wmv file) was fantastic looking.

Thanks!
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

if the footage is 24 "p" why would deinterlacing even be necessary, I thought the footage would be in 24 'full' frames already
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

its 24p stored in a 60i format
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Tourist

Well looking there, the low-ligt especially shows why this is the best camcorder in it's price range and above ;)
Tom Ellingsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #11
Regular Crew

music in first clip?

Solomon,
What is the music in the daylight clip? It's very cool.
Joel Endicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I watched your sunny day clip, the 24p motion was very smooth. I have been unable to get that little stutter with such a smooth motion with my hv20 (just recording in 24p and watching directly on tv)

does your video look choppier straight off the camera, and then you make it smoother after capturing to your computer, or would it look the exact same (motion wise) if you just played the raw footage on an HDTV?
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cowley View Post
I watched your sunny day clip, the 24p motion was very smooth. I have been unable to get that little stutter with such a smooth motion with my hv20 (just recording in 24p and watching directly on tv)

does your video look choppier straight off the camera, and then you make it smoother after capturing to your computer, or would it look the exact same (motion wise) if you just played the raw footage on an HDTV?
For smooth 24p you'll need to shoot with a 1/48 shutter and remove the pulldown (to get true 24p frames). Also being slower with pans and movements will help
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon Chase View Post
For smooth 24p you'll need to shoot with a 1/48 shutter and remove the pulldown (to get true 24p frames). Also being slower with pans and movements will help
I've been shooting at 1/48, but i don't think i've 'removed the pulldown.' I just played back the footage i recorded at 24p (and 1/48th shutter) and then played the raw footage back on my TV straight from my camera. I was finding that the footage seemed a bit choppy and a had a weird motion to it.

Is there something I can actually do on my computer that will make this footage look more smooth then what I'm seeing when playing back directly to a TV?? This would make be very happy, because up to now, I'm worried I've spent all this money on the HV20, but haven't yet been satisfied with the motion of the 24p mode.
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #15
New Boot

hi Solomon,

Would your video look as good if you played it straight away thru your hdtv.

Without post editing it?

best,

Steve.
Steve Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders