24p on HV20 choppy? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #16
Regular Crew

ok i was finally able to upload some sample video (i have dial up) so that you can see the issue i'm having.

could a few people who know this camera have a look at this footage, and see if it looks normal to you, hv20 shooting in 24p mode, 1/48 shutter

http://ia340903.us.archive.org/1/ite...ple/shakey.wmv

That is what I get whenever playing back on my TV from raw tape as well, so it's not a computer performance/rendering issue. It just looks 'fast motion' to me, as if there is motion effect on it for a special look. Am i just shooting wrong, is my camera actually not working correctly, or is it fine and it's just my eyes?
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #17
Major Player

I've been playing around with the 24p and am not happy with the motion. It feels very choppy, with a 'rough' feel, almost like the video is being played in fast motion, but it doesn't feel natural.

Is there a Can someone sled some light on this, i've heard so many people rave about the 24p on this camera, surely i must be seeing something different, it just feels much to rough to be enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

JAY / study the following LINK / Do not shudder at the judder /

This link will bring you closer to the answer.

http://hd24.com/dont_shudder_at_the_judder.htm

Herman,

Last edited by Herman Van Deventer; May 28th, 2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Spilled beer on keyboard.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Jay, there is definitely something wrong with your footage. Take a look at the Rio footage, or the Sunny Day footage that has recently been posted here. For handheld, moving around a lot, it looks pretty smooth. I just posted some footage that has both handheld and tripod use, and I think it's pretty smooth. You can check it out here (it's called Afternoon Rain):

http://www.jsendicott.com/dvinfo

It looks to me like your watching 24p inside of a 60i timeline. But, the bad news is that it should not look like that when watching directly out of your camera on a TV.
Joel Endicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Jay, I noticed blended frames in your footage (they overlap clearly) I couldn't get out with any player I have. So I assume they were rendered like that when you converted your footage to the wmv file. As I hardly believe the footage looks the same straight off the cam, I suggest you post a small uncompressed mpeg or m2t sample for us here to judge where the bug is.

I'm really thankfull that I live in a PAL land...so much less trouble (none, that is) with 25P...and I love it, love it, love it! ;)
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Joel I watched your clip, with the rain shots with the letus adapter. It looked very good, there wasn't a lot of panning/camera movement, but i'm curious to know whether if it was my hv20 behind your lens adapter, whether the image would be choppier.

Could anyone else look at that footage? Any settings on the camera I might have adjusted by accident that would give it that look? I just don't see how I every get Future Shop (store i purchased from) to go for swapping for a different HV20, they would never understand the importance of the motion i'm after, and would think it was just fine.
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #21
Regular Crew

honestly, i'm not even that worried about the judder, I can live with a bit more judder, i remember back when I only had a 60i SD camera, and all I wanted was to get the judder like film had. Now i have a bit too much but oh wel....

it's the motion. If you watch that clip, it feels like a music video, or a car chase on a TV show, it doesn't feel like regular 24p. Does anyone else see when I'm mean, after watching that clip. I just can't tell what it is and whats causing it.
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Jay,

The reason film may look smoother than what you are getting is probably from a few resons.

1. Not shooting smooth/steady enough

2. The edge enhancement used to get a sharper image in camera will result it a jittery image campared to film.

3. I'm not sure, but you may want to remove the pulldown and then have a look. If you put that into a 24fps timeline straight up, it WILL look choppy.
Jeremy Teman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I think Jeremy's right. Especially concerning the pulldown. Like I said, your wmv file shows serious frame blending. You can litteraly see 2 frames overlapping each other (have a look at the still I grabbed). That's NOT what 24p is supposed to look like with this cam, BUT it will look like this unless pulldown is removed (NTSC owners, please correct me if I'm wrong). I guess if you want to achieve that look you're after you have to remove pulldown first.

I suggest the following: capture some 24p into your computer and, without further editing it, watch it with a player like PowerDVD or VLC. These players are capable of deinterlacing (you have to turn it on first), that is removing the pulldown 'on the fly' (worked for me with every single clip I downloaded here). If it still doesn't look right to you, it must be something else (maybe not shooting steady enough, like Jeremy said).
Attached Thumbnails
24p on HV20 choppy?-frameblending.jpg  
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #24
Regular Crew

- OK i took a "direct' screenshot from the original m2t capture, no rendering here at all involved.

heres is the raw screenshot, showing this blending i'm getting straight from my HV20 raw footage. is this why i'm getting that 'fast motion' music video style look to my footage.
Attached Thumbnails
24p on HV20 choppy?-overlay.jpg  
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Jay,

Just watched your footage... it was NOT shot at 1/48 shutter. Looks more like 1/100 or greater. You definitely have the "Saving Private Ryan" effect going.

You said you shot at 1/48, but did you lock it using TV mode? If you did then your camera may be malfunctioning.

This has nothing to do with 3:2 pulldown.
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #26
New Boot

Sorry - I see that the pulldown issue has been addressed.

Last edited by Gerrit Schroder; May 28th, 2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Issue already handled
Gerrit Schroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cowley View Post
- OK i took a "direct' screenshot from the original m2t capture, no rendering here at all involved.

heres is the raw screenshot, showing this blending i'm getting straight from my HV20 raw footage. is this why i'm getting that 'fast motion' music video style look to my footage.
Does every frame look like that? With 24p only 2 out of every 5 frames should appear interlaced, no matter what the shutter speed.
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cowley View Post

Once again, It will NOT play back at 23.98 if you do not remove the pulldown. HDV will capture the footage at 60i and it will continue to be 'interlaced' like that until you remove it.

Did you capture it with HDV? If so, it was not 'raw' like you mentioned.

Try removing the pulldown and have a look at it again. There are plenty of threads on how to do that properly.
Jeremy Teman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #29
Major Player

Jay, from looking at your video I would say you have two things going:

1. You seem to have a high shutter speed going on here (someone might have already mentioned this). This would cause that "judder" llike look.

2. You are also viewing that ghosting effect of "pulldown."

I think together they caused your video to look this way. Higher shutter speeds (1/120 or above) can cause a judder during movement. Yeah, it's like the Saving Private Ryan look. High shutter speed coupled with 60i can give great slow otion (I'm sure you know that) but I think you might have had your shutter faster than 1/48 or 1/60. Put that together with the pulldown effect and I would expect video to look exactly like this. As mentioned before, maybe you can try removing the pulldown. You definately will see the difference.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I'm trying to stay away from the whole pulldown thing, because I'm not very good at coding, and I had don't have any extra software like premiere and cineform. I just have vegas 7.

I used hvsplit to capture the footage as a 60i 29.97fps m2t, then i just skipped through each frame individually, and found that ghosting look (see attached picture from before)

so a high shutter speed would be the explanation of that motion look. I'll try again making sure I'm shooting at 1/48.
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders