HV20 footage (Afternoon Rain) 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 27th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 footage (Afternoon Rain) 24p

I just recently got a HV20 and have been having a blast using it. Everytime I plug it into my 48" projection HDTV and watch what I've recorded I'm in awe. Even my wife commented "I can't believe these are our home movies!"

Here's a short I did the other afternoon when we had a rain storm pass overhead. I shot it in 24p and used a Letus35a on a few of the shots (pretty obvious). I captured the footage in FCP, use JES deinterlacer to do the pull down, then edited back in FCP. This process seems to work very well for 24p stuff.

I forgot to select "streaming" when I exported it to h264, so the best thing to do is right-click on the file name and download to your desktop. Size is about 67 MB.

Link is here:
http://www.jsendicott.com/dvinfo
Joel Endicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Very nice, Joel. Have about the same camera set up, with a Letus35a. Great shots, great depth of field stuff too... What lenses were you using with the Letus shots ?
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris,
I just have one Nikon lens that works with the Letus right now, the 50mm 1.8 D AF. I'm can't get rid of the vignetting (the HV20 won't zoom in far enough and maintain focus) and I'm thinking that has to do with that lens. I'm trying to pick up a 1.4 on Ebay right now. It look like the 1.4 has a wider opening on the back of the lens.
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #4
New Boot

great shots Joel!

Its really hard to believe this is a "home movie"
thanks for sharing!

I need a letus35a!
Ricardo Moyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

This is really one of the best footage I have seen from this little beast!

thanks for sharing.
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Your footage is fantastic

Please can someone tell me what a Letus35a is and where i can read more about it and where i can get one

I also am soon to be getting the HV20 and would very much like the same results as this also what size mm will i need to fit the HV20

Thank you
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Jim, the Letus35 is an adapter that lets you use 35mm still camera lenses (either Canon or Nikon) on your DV camera. The benefit is an extremely narrow depth of field. You can learn about the Letus here:
http://www.letus35.com

Other adapters that people around here use are the Brevis and the Redrock M2.

Be aware that when using one of these adapters the image will appear both horizontally and vertically flipped. This makes it difficult for tracking subjects and you have to do a flop in post production. Letus does make a version that flips the image for you, called the Flipped Enhanced. I chose the basic model, the 35a, because of the low cost.

Also, there is a sub-forum just for Letus discussions here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Enjoy!
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #8
Major Player

I think I have that same CD :-)

Very nice footage!!

I started watching it before I read your entire post. I was thinking to myself 'Looks great, but needs more Letus!', then I saw it. Nice work!!
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The piano music is by Liz Story. It's the first track on her album "Solid Colors." And, it's appropriately called "Wedding Rain." : )

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I'm glad you liked it!
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #10
New Boot

This is a great reference for just how good this camera is. This should be on the Canon website. Thanks for sharing it.
William Cusick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders