24p: Pan Movement vs. Subject Movement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 20th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24p: Pan Movement vs. Subject Movement

Okay, I can read all the online articles saying you can't pan the camera quickly when set for 24p mode, but my question is this: Is there a technical (or visual) difference in how the camera captures footage when it's pan movement vs. subject movement?

In other words, in 24p why should there be any difference between the world moving past a stationary camera and a moving camera moving past a stationary world?
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:00 AM   #2
New Boot

panning

24p has the same issues as a film camera when panning. Namely, the human eye fills in the gaps between each frame. When you pan quickly, the gaps become more apparent to the eye, and therefore somewhat sickening.
You can pan as fast as you want if you are following a moving object through the frame - because the object will not be "panning" relative to the camera.
Try a couple tests.
Pan at different speeds with no moving object.
Then have someone walk across the frame and follow them at different speeds.
When you watch the footage, you should be able to tell when at what speeds you can safely pan in a "static" world.
When you watch the moving person with the pan, watch the background and you'll see that the background is just as hard to watch with a moving object as without - only that you tend to ignore it with the moving object.

Hope that makes sense. It's early.

Jason
Jason Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Jason, great reply. I actually followed and understood everything you said on a technical level, which are the kind of answers I like. It all makes much more technical sense now. So you're right, it sounds like I need to do some serious experimentation with the timing of panning w/without moving subjects.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders