Canon TL-H43 1.7x at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon TL-H43 1.7x

Is the Canon TL-H43 1.7x worth the money?

What kind of image quality can I expect?

I want to use the Canon TL-H43 1.7x for telephoto shoots of Birds. But, I want high quality shots.

Dave
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Contributor

there is a thread talking about it...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=94394

and here is some sample footage

http://file.meyersproduction.com/hv20/tlh43/
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Is it worth the money?
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't know how much this helps but for me personally I think the lens is worth the money if you're shooting wildlife. Otherwise no. Everything else said about the lens on DVI has been spot on. Lens quality is good but the wideangle lens portion is worse than worthless because the lens is in the picture for half the zoom. I think you'd be better off stowing it for any shot that might require pulling back. I just got back from shooting a doc on beer and monks in Belgium and lugged the tele around on my bike for a week (it weighs as much as the camera), used it twice but never needed it. However, if I were planning a trip to Africa or even to yellowstone I would feel the lens range would be essential.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Major Player

How does the 1.7 lens compare with using the Digital Zoom at the same focal length?

I own a HV 10, and the video quality is better using the HV 10 digital Zoom, than it is using the 2X convertor that I bought for it. However, the 2X was not a HD model. The HD model should be better.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Now I think I see why you're questioning the telephoto. Yes, to my eyes, the HD lens seems much, much better than the digital zoom. I'm guessing you got the telephoto lens for the HV10 at a very affordable price point. No worries with the HD telephoto. You won't be throwing away money. I wish I were a little more internet savy and could post the difference.
Anyway, If I were in Alaska and planning on shooting birds that did not require lots of zooming out, I would go ahead and bite the bullet on the telephoto--even if it's worthless for half the zoom--if I could scrape up a little dough.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders