Pixel shift and Hydra - a couple of curious questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 1st, 2007, 05:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Pixel shift and Hydra - a couple of curious questions

I was curious about two things -
1) Can they make something similar to the Hydra for the HVX for the HV20? It would be a cheap alternative since the andromeda for the DVX looks so freaking good.

2) Does the HV20 employ pixel shift like the Panasonic HVX? I wonder if mod'ing a camera to achieve pixel shift would give greater latitude, almost like film?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

1) That's a question for the people at Reel Stream. They're the ones doing the Hydra and other camcorder modifications.

2) Pixel Shift is possible only in camcorders using three image sensors. Since the HV20 uses only a single image sensor, Pixel Shift can't happen. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:46 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

It might be possible to make a hydra for the HV20, but the question of market suitability comes into play; would someone spend $3500 or $4000 to modify a $1000 camcorder?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Trustee

For me it would come down to price point. After spending $3500+ on an HVX and then $3500+ on the Hydra, it gets a tad expensive - total of $7000. If the quality is going to be close with the HV20 (I did say close) then it is an additional savings to the consumer and gives them a choice - the difference of $2500 is important to me if it came down to it - but again, maybe it wouldn't be worth it in the end because the HV20 isn't a prosumer camera?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:00 AM   #5
Trustee

Why would you need this? The HDMI port already gives you uncompressed 4:2:2.

There is no way to use pixel shift on a single chip camera. What would you shift?

The only thing the device may give you is 4:4:4 instead of just 4:2:2 but I doubt it would really make that much of a difference for footage from this camera. I mean if it is hard for most people to see the difference between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 on normal footage then 4:2:2 compared to 4:4:4 is even harder to see.

The way bayer patterns work on single chips even if you had 4:4:4 the color precsion will never be perfect.

In my opinion this device would be a total waste of money on the HV20.

On the DVX100 it made a lot of sense because not only did it give high quality color but it gave people an option for uncompressed video which no DV camera has. It also allowed people to use the SD chips to get HD resolution. For the HVX200 it makes a little less sense because the camera is already HD and 4:2:2. About the only thing you gain on the HVX200 is a digital method to get uncompressed HD from the camera. Right now the only way to get live uncompressed from the HVX200 is to use analog component. Analog component is still full raster uncompressed however.

Either way you look at it, if you use component, SDI, HDMI or a cable plugged to this device you are tied to a computer.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders