OT: Monitoring HDTV vs. Computer LCD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OT: Monitoring HDTV vs. Computer LCD

I posted this question over at the Vegas forum as well, but wanted to get opinions form here as well. Okay, I'm scratching my head here about options for monitoring video under Vegas.

I'd love to be able to see what the footage of my HV20 actually looks like on a HDTV, but then I started thinking about pixel ratios.

My current computer LCD is a 22" widescreen (1680 x 1050 pixels)
A 32" LCD HDTV is 720p (1366 x 768 pixels)

So the 32" HDTV is working with quite a smaller image size to begin with - but it's then being stretched out across a much larger 32" widescreen surface. So am I right in thinking that my 22" LCD monitor will actually look more sharp and accurate than the 32" HDTV? I mean, am I thinking correctly about this...that computer LCD's will always look better than HDTV, or am I thinking wrongly.

And I guess the whole 32" HDTV gets even further complicated when you consider the pixel ratio of HDV DVD's which would be scaled down to 1366 x 768, which I think would actually provide a much sharper image from being scaled down.

Many of the HDTV's can be connected to a computer's graphic card, so I was thinking that I could get an HDTV to hook to my second video card and view my editing work under Vegas on the HDTV. Since Windows allows you to setup multiple monitors and Vegas allows you to select a secondary monitor for external preview, then I ought to get an HDTV for my computer. Are any of you doing something like this?
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders