HV20 and Sony wide angle Lens tests at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 10th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #1
Major Player

HV20 and Sony wide angle Lens tests

I've just been trying my HV20 with a Sony VCL-MHG07 wide-angle lens (using a 43-52mm step up ring).

Here are some screenshots:

Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

you may want to repost those images, you didn't use the correct links, those are just mini thumnails, way to small to see any detail
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Fergus...many thanks for posting these. I'm very impressed with the images taken with the Sony lens and think I'll look into getting one as well...unless others have a better alternative for a same-priced lens.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cowley View Post
you may want to repost those images, you didn't use the correct links, those are just mini thumnails, way to small to see any detail
Jay

Just left click on each thumnail and it will hyperlink to the full size image

Nathan, thanks - I think the results are pretty good. My main concern was sharpness but I am satisfied with that. I have posted the raw footage on another forum (not sure I can link from here)
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Have you tried any closeups with wideangle lens?
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Major Player

No not yet, just got my step up ring today. Any particular scenario you would like to see?
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I have had some pleasing results with a Kenko .7 wide I have used on my VX2000 for years. I use a 43mm to 58mm step down to match it. I will try to post some stills tonight. Being designed for SD, it still seems to provide a decent picture for a wide angle shot. It does appear to soften the image a bit, but that is not all bad, in terms of filmic qualities.

I also use a 58mm Sony 1.7 teleextender on the other end, again originally purchased for the VX2000. CA is a big problem at the extreme end of the telephoto range with that lens.
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson View Post
No not yet, just got my step up ring today. Any particular scenario you would like to see?
Hmm...perhaps something that has a primary character dog/cat/fire-hydrant/mailbox ??? and a couple other interesting subjects further away (but not far away) in the background. I guess I'd like to see some DOF and how closer subjects actually look in comparison to that which is behind/around them. And pick some odd angles to capture from to help exaggerate the perspective somewhat. And maybe primary subject is drastically different in color(s) compared to background secondary subjects. Okay...that's a lot to ask for. Just do whatever you feel like doing. LOL!!!
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Major Player

Ok here are a few closeup shots with the Sony lens

If you would like the footage just give me a PM since its on another forum and I dont think Chris would like me to link to it. I think on the whole the images are very sharp closeup. The camera in normal autofocus does take a while to focus if the position of the subject changes quickly. Sorry for the lack of imagination with the shots, only had a few minutes in between changing baby!

Let me know what you think
Cheers
Ferg

Old July 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I always reckon it's barrel distortion that spoils many a wide-angle converter, and door frames that bow outwards as you track room to room look horribly amateurish in my book. None of the posted images show straight lines that don't pass through the middle of the frame, and this is the great barrelling test.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I like the next to last image with the garden tool best...it shows the depth I was curious about. And the one with the green leaf, I like that as well. Thanks! You've shown me what I was wanting to see.
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I always reckon it's barrel distortion that spoils many a wide-angle converter, and door frames that bow outwards as you track room to room look horribly amateurish in my book. None of the posted images show straight lines that don't pass through the middle of the frame, and this is the great barrelling test.

tom.
Tom, sorry what would you like me to shoot? Door frames at the edge of the picture to test how straight they are?

Cheers
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post

tom.
Tom:

I think the HV20 at the wide angle range has a about the equivalent of a 32 mm 35mm SLR lens. So if you slap a .7 on that end, are you enevitably doomed to seeing barrelling ?
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #14
Inner Circle

For your comparison, here are jpegs of Shots with my HV20 with the Kenko Pro 65 which is a .65 x, not .7. All shots were at widest angle setting.

Lens is Kenko KRW-065 Pro II 0.65x
Attached Thumbnails
HV20 and Sony wide angle Lens tests-img_0156.jpg   HV20 and Sony wide angle Lens tests-img_0154.jpg  

HV20 and Sony wide angle Lens tests-img_0159.jpg   HV20 and Sony wide angle Lens tests-img_0160.jpg  

HV20 and Sony wide angle Lens tests-img_0163.jpg   HV20 and Sony wide angle Lens tests-img_0155.jpg  

Old July 11th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #15
Major Player

nice shots Chris, it does look a little wider than mine.
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders