Friends -n- Family at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 13th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Friends -n- Family

Howdy Folks:

I'm not sure if it's considered bad form to post low-rez videos, but that's what I have. I just picked up the HV20 2 weeks ago. I don't have a single HD monitor/display in my home so I am not exporting to HD. The reason I bought the HV20 was to capture my family's memories in HD for the future when HD TVs are all we have. HD for posterity!

In the meantime I set the HV20 to DV-Locked and pull the video off the camera as DV-Widescreen. I like to edit in Adobe Premiere Elements and set memories to music. All my home videos to date have been captured with a Canon S3 IS which is not a camcorder but it captures at 640x480 and 30 fps.

The Canon HV20 is my first camcorder and this here is my first home movie captured with it!

http://virb.com/dewde/videos/19020

I'm glad to answer any questions although I'd wager I have more questions than answers myself.

Chris
Chris Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Major Player

It looks great! Excellent framing throughout, good exposure, nice editing.

Only thing i noticed was that it all appears to be interlaced. Perhaps you're using the wrong output setting in Premiere Elements?
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Very, very nice.

Did you shoot in 24p?
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would use a few dissolves between the scenes. It's still good without them though. The best part is, nobody seemed to be aware of the camera. It looked so natural. Very nice overall.
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas View Post
It looks great! Excellent framing throughout, good exposure, nice editing.

Only thing i noticed was that it all appears to be interlaced. Perhaps you're using the wrong output setting in Premiere Elements?
Thank you! I'm glad I'm not going crazy here. I will look at my export settings. I saw it too, and I tried seeking help with it but I didn't know how to describe what I was seeing.

My other videos were shot with a Canon PowerShot S3 IS and the video seems to be significantly smoother and cleaner. Is it because my new video is "interlaced" and my Canon camera does not shoot it "interlaced"?

Canon S3 IS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%2bs3%2bis

Old/smoother video:
http://virb.com/dewde/videos/19071

New/HV20/rough looking video:
http://virb.com/dewde/videos/19020

Obviously if I'm going to export for the web I don't want interlaced... but when do I want to use it?

Chris

Last edited by Chris Ames; July 14th, 2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Dasari View Post
I would use a few dissolves between the scenes. It's still good without them though. The best part is, nobody seemed to be aware of the camera. It looked so natural. Very nice overall.
I try and go all or nothing on cross dissolves.

The trick I've found with kids is to just let them play and stay out of their way. After 5 minutes they forget you're there. Also I was constantly getting up and leaving my camera there on the tripod while I went to sit/eat/talk with the adults. I'd film for 5 mins, leave for 10 mins, come back re-position and film for 5 mins, etc. After a while people stopped paying attention to the camera altogether.

Thank you for the critique! I love constructive feedback!
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla View Post
Very, very nice.

Did you shoot in 24p?
No because I wouldn't know how to get it off my camera and make it look good. I plan to, though. I just need to be mindful because I've read here that you can't shake the camera too much. Most of the time I am chasing my toddler around and that causes lots of motion and shake. So I've kept 24p off for now.

Chris
Old July 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ames View Post
I saw it too, and I tried seeking help with it but I didn't know how to describe what I was seeing.
If you're seeking help on how to deinterlace in PE3, it's simple. After placing the clip in one of the video tracks, just right click on the clip, choose 'Field Options' and then select 'Always Deinterlace'.
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #9
Major Player

That was very well done. Entertaining and really well shot, especially for your FIRST TIME! And you used Premiere Elements... :)

Just goes to show... It's not the tools you have, but the talent and eye.. The right artist will figure out a way to make it work...

Great job, thanks for posting!

jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Dasari View Post
If you're seeking help on how to deinterlace in PE3, it's simple. After placing the clip in one of the video tracks, just right click on the clip, choose 'Field Options' and then select 'Always Deinterlace'.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know.

Chris
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
That was very well done. Entertaining and really well shot, especially for your FIRST TIME! And you used Premiere Elements... :)

Just goes to show... It's not the tools you have, but the talent and eye.. The right artist will figure out a way to make it work...

Great job, thanks for posting!

jon
Thank you Jon!
Chris Ames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders