XA10 still have rattling XLR buttons? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Major Player

XA10 still have rattling XLR buttons?

Does anybody know if the XA10 still suffers from the loose and rattling buttons on the XLR handle? Several early reports indicated it was a problem (maybe with the first cams?). I watched the video on Vimeo and the noise was very obvious and transmitted the rattling to the video pretty obviously. It rattled like a baby toy when shook. Could be a deal-breaker for me. If not, I'd like to get one. Thanks,
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: XA10 still have rattling XLR buttons?

Reports vary.
I got my XA 10 about 6 weeks ago from the Canon web store.
If I shake the detached handle vigorously, I can hear some rattle.
When handle is mounted with a shotgun mic in place, I have no problem.
Seems like most complaints have been when handle is mounted and camera mics are recording- no shotgun mic in place.
My impression is that maybe there is less problem now than there was initially- but that's rather speculative...
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Robert,

I have some questions if you don't mind:
1) I just bought the G10, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I'm seriously considering returning it to get the XA10. Don't always need a XLR mic, but sometimes I do. Full sized hot shoe and night vision would be extremely nice. 64G HD would be nice too. I currently have a Sony Z5 and a Canon HV30 as a small cam. This would be probably taking the place of the HV30. Can you give me your thoughts on the XA and what you like, don't like about it? I'm on the fence on keeping the G10, or returning it and going for the XA10. Really appreciate your input.

2) Wind Noise Cancelation? Curious if there is wind noise cancelation using a XLR mic, or just the internal cam mic?

3) Batter Life? How is the batter life using the XLRs?

4) Are there a zoom and rec button's on the handle?

Thanks

Last edited by Mark Goodsell; September 4th, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
Mark Goodsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Trustee

IMO, the XA 10 is a unique camera that provides excellent image quality, excellent low light performance, and professional features/controls in a package that is hardly bigger than a "tourist' cam.
The ability to add the handle and have pro audio- shotgun, wireless, etc.- is well worth the extra $$ to me.
The handle does have zoom and record button.
Battery life is quite good using the BP-819. With a couple of those in your pocket, you are set for a long day.
I do a lot of travel shooting, so size is important to me. The XA 10 is a camera that I haven't had to trade off a lot of features/functions for the small size.
Even with the handle + Rode NTG-1, and the Canon WA adapter, it's a very small package to travel with.
I'm a happy camper :)

Last edited by Robert Young; September 6th, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Goodsell View Post
Does anybody know if the XA10 still suffers from the loose and rattling buttons on the XLR handle? Several early reports indicated it was a problem (maybe with the first cams?). I watched the video on Vimeo and the noise was very obvious and transmitted the rattling to the video pretty obviously. It rattled like a baby toy when shook. Could be a deal-breaker for me. If not, I'd like to get one. Thanks,
I dont think this is an issue just with the XA10. I had an XHA1 3 years ago, most of the little slider switches rattled a fair bit. So much so that I took it back and tested 2 others, they were all the same. I think it is just the design of the switches. I played with an XA10 a couple of weeks ago, the switches were all a bit on the loose side. Not loose enough, for me at least, to be a deal breaker
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Goodsell View Post
I can just report that I have no issues with my camera in this regard and I am not sure if you mean the handle or the mic holder ?

In any case I have no issue with this.
Andreas Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Just purchased a new XA10 from B&H. And yes, "shake, rattle & roll!". Yes it shakes...it's so bad you can use it as a baby rattle. It will only effect you of you are doing hand held, on mike sound. But. it's there and it's pretty bad.
Old September 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Well, just to bring things full-circle, I received my XA10. Yes, the buttons do rattle, but you'd really have to be shaking the cam to make the buttons rattle. When I get a little spare time, I'm going to put a piece of thin material behind the plate and 'tighten' things up back there a little. Otherwise, it's a good cam.
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I just bought my xa10 and yes it is has loose audio switches. this is what I did.

There was also allot of noise on the external mic when you zoom, you can hear the zoom motor working even with the shock absorbing mic mount.
Attached Thumbnails
XA10 still have rattling XLR buttons?-dsc02373.jpg   XA10 still have rattling XLR buttons?-dsc02383.jpg  

XA10 still have rattling XLR buttons?-dsc02382b.jpg   XA10 still have rattling XLR buttons?-xuifhio.jpg  

XA10 still have rattling XLR buttons?-yrsbijbfg.jpg  
Rainer Halbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Just got mine yesterday (2/17/12) from Samy's Camera in LA (serial # 452410100xxx) and I'm happy to report that there's no rattle at all.

Nice little camera - interesting B-roll and travel camera addition to my XF300 and 5DII. Should be really fun on trips! Going to Israel and Jordan next week so I'll give it a real workout!

Larry Becker
Larry Becker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders