VCL-HG0758 on XA10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Wrangler

VCL-HG0758 on XA10

The Sony VCL HG0758 wide angle adapter has been mentioned as an economical way to get wider with the XA10. They are often offered for sale at "reasonable" prices in the used market. But how good are they on a HD camcorder, given that they were originally marketed for used on a DV camcorder?

The attached photo was staged using a XL10, automatic exposure and focus photo mode, located about 6 feet from the plane of the test targets. Lighting was a mix of cool white and warm white standard florescent overhead. The image contains four PhotoShop grabs from the .JPG files stored by the camcorder. The top two are from the extreme lower right corner of the frame, the bottom two are from the center of the frame. As noted the images on the left are from the XA10 at full wide angle, and on the right with the VCL HG0758 mounted, and zoom adjusted to provide the same field of view (not full wide). No filters were on the camcorder. Each of the 4 grabs was 144x108 pixels of the 1920x1080 frame.

In this test there is a wee bit of loss of sharpness at the center, and a bit more at the corner, but in my opinion not bad all considered.

(Note: To resolve the resolution target's widest grid would require over 2000 lines of video resolution. The slight exposure shift is probably due to )
Attached Images

Old February 20th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: VCL-HG0758 on XA10

I have one ($50 never used, great deal) but in low light the shortcomings really come out. My images were almost blurry the one and only time I used it in low light, it was really bad.

On the other hand, for the ceremony earlier the same day, the images were totally acceptable. Weird.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

Were you using auto focus? It often has difficulty in poor light.
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The center of the image was blurry like vaseline had been smeared on the lens. I did use auto focus but I was using the touch screen to focus, it was a run and gun situation, very fast paced. I should have used a GH2, but there was no time to switch cameras, the bride and groom were rushing things trying to leave for their honeymoon. I didn't know about the weakeness of the adapter or I would've removed it. Image would still have been too dark, but at least it wouldn't have looked smeary.

I knew at the time it was the adapter that caused it but I just forgot about it, haven't used it since, but in well lit situations wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Wrangler

Was the Convesion Lens setting set for WIDE? The Instant AF sensor may have beenblockd by the adapter preventing proper AF.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

No, it wasn't. But as I mentioned it didn't look out of focus, just smeary in the center. The auto focus had worked perfectly all night during the reception where I had been using lights, but nevertheless I will remember to check that setting and activate it next time.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
...didn't look out of focus, just smeary in the center...

...it was a run and gun situation, very fast paced...
Not by any chance an artifact of slowish shuttercoupled with camcorder and/or subject motion.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Not sure it was, since it was the center of the image that was poor, not the area outside the center. I'd find it and do a frame grab but I'm so swamped right now I can't see straight.
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Wrangler

Better to be busy than not, especially if you can bill the hours!
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:16 PM   #10
Major Player

I don't have the VCL wide angle but I did have a similar question about a 2x Century Optics teleconverter I had for my PD 150. I wasn't exactly cheap, I don't recall what I paid for it but probably $300 - 400. I haven't run any true tests with it, no charts etc nor have used it in a real shoot so far, but the little bit of experimentation I've done with it, it does look pretty sharp given it was meant for an sd camera
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
The Sony VCL HG0758 wide angle adapter has been mentioned as an economical way to get wider with the XA10. They are often offered for sale at "reasonable" prices in the used market. But how good are they on a HD camcorder, given that they were originally marketed for used on a DV camcorder?
Zunow is much better, but I can't justify the purchase, so for me VCL-HG0758 on HFG10 does well;
sorry for reposting the link, but one picture is better than...

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Inner Circle

That's Ok that your reposted Buba, I never get tired of seeing your amazing shots. As long as there is sufficient light, the WA adapter works very well, as your clip shows. It is a great value.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders