XA20 two slots and Relay Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old September 6th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #1
Major Player

XA20 two slots and Relay Recording

The XA20 has no internal memory, but it has two card slots. When your first card fills up, Relay Recording will automaticaly switch to the second card.
In the following link I learned some more about Relay Recording:
Relay Recording: Guide to Camcorder Relay Recording
But information on the site of the Canon company tells me, the XA20 can also record in two partitions simultaniously.
What does that mean?
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XA20 two slots and Relay Recording

Storage media can be split into multiple virtual mount points or drives. For instance a hard drive might be partitioned into a c:/ drive and a d:/ while being a single physical device. I don't see the usefulness as it pertains to dual recording or relay recording, but it might be useful for storing one codec on one virtual drive and another codec on another virtual drive on the same media.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jim is correct. The XA-20 can record in two different codecs simultaneously but then you can't use relay recording.

I currently have 128 GB cards in each slot so will run out of battery long before I worry about filling the cards up. While Canon makes a big deal about approved cards (meaning they tested them) these Komputer Bay Class 10 cards have worked just fine and were relatively cheap.
J.T. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Major Player

What then is the practicle use of recording in two different codecs? If you record only in the highest quality, you can make anything else in lower quality in post?
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #5
New Boot

You have one version in lower bitrate mp4 ready for immediate uploading to the studio for rough cut editing or immediate streaming, and a higher bitrate version for final editing. Dual recording on this camera can only be done in mp4, not AVCHD.
Alan Fitch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders