New XA20 Owner with Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old September 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Tourist

New XA20 Owner with Questions

Hey guys,

I finally decided to step up my video quality to a Canon XA20. I love the fuller features and function set on this camera.

My question has to do with the best possible settings for YouTube 1080 video production. I know YouTube does not actually support true 1080, but I want to give my videos the best possible presentation.

Questions:

I know I should upgrade to Final Cut Pro, but for now I'm using iMovie for post production.

I quickly realized AVHCD (sp?) at 60 is not working in iMovie. I set it simply to MPEG4 and went with that over the weekend. The results are nice, but .... should I be working in AVHCD or should I stick with MPEG4?

I notice when I went over to manual settings in MPEG 4 it would not let me work in anything higher than 24mgbps which may be just fine.

I welcome any suggestions or comments you may have for me, and thank you.
Paul T. McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: New XA20 Owner with Questions

Youtube does support 1080p video though I'm not sure what framerates. The AVCHD is a codec that uses MPEG4 compression. I have not seen that my exposure settings affect my encoding options. I've been doing a lot of recording in manual, MPEG4, 1080p59.94, 35Mbps. I don't use iMovie so can't comment on that but Adobe Creative Cloud does a fantastic job.

Bob

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders