Nice review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nice review

Canon XF300 / XF305 Camcorder Review
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Space Hipster

Thanks. It is a very good review. Makes me want one all the more.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Except the color shift that occurs w/ the Canon when moving up from 0db gain is a HUGE PROBLEM, IMHO.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/vi...f300-ex1.shtml

I hope this gets addressed--or maybe it was just the operator not being entirely familiar with the camera.
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Space Hipster

Yeah, I noticed the color shift. The Canon went from a nice warm tone to a cold blue. I hope it was operator error. How does adding gain change a white balance?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That's almost certainly a user white balance error. If you notice in the first video example of the bottles, going from -6db to +6db does not produce any color shift.

On the XF/EX comparison video, it looks like the XF camera was accidentally put into a tungsten WB.

Not to mention there haven't been any reports of a color shift from any users, and I go between -6db and all the way up to +12db frequently and have never seen anything like that. I would venture to guess that the cameras were set on AWB, and this may account for the shift in the Canon - but neither look particularly accurate.
Brian Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

According to the VO, "the only thing that changed was the dialing in of neutral density as the color temperature was locked off at 4k"
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Guys,

I'm very interested to know how the LCD compares outdoors to the EX1?

Also are you able to assign the Push-Auto-Iris to the Assign button 6 (MAGN)?

Cheers,
Mark
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Vortex Media

Mark,

I find the XF305 LCD to me quite a bit harder, if not impossible to see in bright sunlight. Much harder than the EX1 and EX1R. In those shooting situations, the viewfinder is really the only option. For someone that prefers to shoot handheld with the LCD, I don't know how they'd manage on a sunny day.

However, on overcast days or indoors, I prefer the XF305. It really has a very nice picture. The EX1 LCD seems so much smaller when I'm using that camera, but even if they were the same size, the Canon just looks better. And I always thought the EX1 looked great.

To answer your second question, no, PUSH-AUTO is not one of the functions that can be given to any of the assign buttons.
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Trustee

I imagine you could buy or make a shade for the LCD. I made one for my HV-20 out of black foamcore. It works quite well. Not ideal, but it seems like it would be possible w/ the XF's.
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I made one out of thin cardboard (FedEx envelope) covered in gaff tape and attached with velcro. Improvised it on set one day about a month ago, and it works fantastic. Been on every shoot since then...
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

There are a number of camcorder lcd hoods available.

For the A1/S I use a Hoodman H-400 with an extra piece of black cardboard fitted to the top to extend the hood and the LCD contrast turned up on bright sunny days. IMO you've got to make it as pro looking as possible to fend off the clients brother.

Also a Hoodskin fitted to the LCD screen, I can mark it up and it protects the screen from crap. A few years ago mine came in a packet of 10 and they just peel off with no residual tack.

Cheers.
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #12
Vortex Media

Yeah, a hood will help a little, but that won't solve the whole problem. I'm not talking about direct sunlight striking the screen, I'm talking about not being able to see the screen in bright ambient light. The EX1R doesn't have a hood either, yet I can see it much better than the XF305 in bright ambient light.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; August 17th, 2010 at 07:34 AM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey, Doug - Perhaps you should try setting your LCD backlight from "Normal" to "Bright" when you're in bright ambient conditions and I think that will help a lot. It's in the LCD Setup menu.

Last edited by Brian Woods; August 17th, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Vortex Media

Brian, thanks for the suggestion, but I already set the LCD to bright the first day I got it. Believe me, I know the camera inside and out and there is no magic setting that is going make the LCD perform in bright ambient light like the one on the EX1.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders