New shots from the XF100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Major Player

New shots from the XF100

I tried a little sharpen my gamma1 settings ( http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...ml#post1708345 ), I set the sharpness to 0 and coring to 2 (from -1 and 3).
Here is my short film from a trip near Prague with the new settings, I made only some minor color correction. The sound is from internal mic, music Kevin MacLeod.

XF100, 1080i/50Mbps/422, web version with deinterlace (edited in Avid MedaComposer 5.5.3, exported with QT direct from timeline).

https://vimeo.com/39273007
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New shots from the XF100

Pavel,

Looks great and thanks for sharing these presets and the link to your previous post. Good info on understanding what does what. It's now named Pavel1 in my camera!
Old March 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your feedback, I'm quite happy with the XF100. Perhaps a better viewfinder and a little more zoom would be nice.
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Pavel, this is absolutely beautiful work.

One of the cameras in my arsenal is a 105, and the image always seems so drab out of the camera. At a minimum I always have to crush the blacks a bit, but that never helps out all that much.

I'll definitely try out your settings. But could you please share some of the strategies for your color correction?
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks.

The XF100's LCD monitor is a little bit to green, so I adjust WB only with kelvin (from experience by time of day, it depends on whether the sun is shining, etc).

Color corrections are then quite simple, minor adjustment of contrast and slight change in color temperature. It helps to use the Cokin ND gradient filter or use the zebra pattern for correct exposure. For a quality outcome is important the quality 50Mbps recording 422, subsequent renderings do to Avid DNxHD 185Mbps 422.

I hope this helps.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:02 AM   #6
Major Player

from XF100

cinegamma1, coring +2, sharpnes -1.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Pavel, shot with your CP today--my XF100 has never looked so good! Thank you so much for sharing.
Vince Manganello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks. The cinegamma1 is a very good choice for the canon camcorders, I like the result too.
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Just spent the last few days playing around with settings on my new XF105 ( I also use a 305). Tonight, in low light, I hooked up the camera directly to a large Sony monitor using HDMI, and manipulated a number of the settings, including those of Pavel's. Lots of great stuff for folks to work on. I have to say that everyone ought to try doing this, playing with the various adjustments to see how the blacks can be crushed, tuning out or in the grain, and playing with those odd settings you never want to try in real life. The problems that light is different all over the world means that your 'mileage might differ' from mine, based on lat/long and cloud cover. Don't assume Pavel, or anyone else, has the 'answer'.

In low light, I continuously came back to BBC settings to get sharpness, and pull a variety of shades out of my shadows and lower intensity darks. Might not be the brightest colors, but it's got a large range to play with, and allows for fun in post without burning your whites or crushing your blacks. I don'l like some of the settings that go over board on softening up focus.

The 'neutral' out of the box settings should not be used. They are just too washed out, except when in bright sunlight. They then seem adequate. But tuning can be done, and should be done.

I also assume that this wonderfully small camcorder, with superb latitude, a decent lens, and infinite tuning, is likely to become my 'go to' camera. I've been very disappointed with the video on my 7D, especially in low light (many colors turn to mud or can have an unearthly look). The 105 is not really any bigger than a 7D, and I am under the impression, from my tests, that in anything short of very low light, it will perform just fine. It's amazing to have this flexible a 4:2:2 video camera literally in the palm of my hand. I think that there is a lot to master here.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Small commercial shot with XF100 and EOS 60D (96pct XF100).

Old July 6th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Major Player

Petar and his father invited us to the Malesov for roasting pig. Both come from Croatia and now live partly in the Czech Republic. Arrived friends with young children, so I called this short film Family Edition. Radek obtained a pig and many other necessary things, he organized the event along with Petar.
I shot this with Canon XF100 without a tripod (small part is from my friend's cell phone).

on YT or vimeo -
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Major Player

That was a great video on Vimeo. I'm thinking I may pick up an XF100 to use on my day to day stuff and vacations. My NX5, while nice, is just too big and a little bit of an attention getter. I think the XF would be much better for compact travel. It'll remind me of my old GL1 days. I carried that cam everywhere I went!
Old July 18th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Yes, small size is a very nice feature of this cam.
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #14
Regular Crew

The shots are great and thanks to everyone for posting!

I am a new Canon XF100 owner and just played around in the yard last night, using mostly out of box settings. Dropped them into FCP with the log and transfer, and I was up and running in no time. I was quite impressed by the color output and ease of use. Everything works very well and it seems to be light years ahead of my former JVC HD camcorder.

In case anyone is interested, here is some of my test footage. Nothing too exciting but I was quite impressed by the quality. (Note: I had to limit the bitrate to 8mbits so there is some artifacting that doesn't appear in the original)

Greg Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Major Player

I used XF100 (70pct) and 60D with tokina 11-16mm (30pct).

Traces of Time in The Central Bohemian Uplands is a short film from the beautiful and mystical landscape.

The Old stone (menhir) called Kamenný pastýř (Stone Shepherd) was probably built by the Celtic tribe (4th - 2nd century BC).
The church Panenský Týnec, although it looks more like a ruin, in fact it has never been finished. The building was built in the 13th century. People who consider themselves sensitive to energy say that they feel an unusual energy in the place originally intended for an altar. Some say it gives them pins and needles to their hands. People come to Týnec to “re-charge”.
The name Panenský Týnec is derived from the Celtic word Taun, which was a place surrounded by walls. The town was nicknamed panenský (virginal) because the nuns from the Order of Poor Clares originally had their seat in the monastery, which was later changed into the local town hall. The nuns took care of the St. Agnes relics.
Kalvárie u Ostrého - a group of three Chapels located on the hill Kalvárie, near the village Ostrý. The chapel was built in the early 18th century, on the staircase to the chapels are preserved remnants of sandstone statues and Stations of the Cross.
Open-air museum of folk architecture in the village Zubrice. You can visit the national school, local shop, water mill, living room (19th-20th century).
The Oak of Prince Ulrich is a very old tree (probably 11th century).
Magic rocks on the bare hill are of volcanic origin. It grows many rare flowers here and there is magnificent view of The Central Bohemian Uplands.
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders