Best settings for DOF on XF100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 25th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Best settings for DOF on XF100

Hello there. I bought myself 2 new XF100 camera's a month ago (coming from XHA1's) but I have troubles getting a nice dof with it. When I want to film a person in front of a mirror for example and I want to change focus from real person to mirror image. I am say 6 feet behind the person what are the needed settings? Is it mainly a matter of zooming in as far as possible or can I do it without zooming in? I want to shoot in 50i/50Mbps so my shutter is set to 1/50.
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best settings for DOF on XF100

Yes Kees, the small sensor means you will need to be back aways,zooming in. I would also try using neutral density filters to force a wide open aperture. For wide angle close ups with DOF you might need to change cameras. I occassionally switch to a HDSLR briefly for these shots.
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode View Post
Is it mainly a matter of zooming in as far as possible or can I do it without zooming in? I want to shoot in 50i/50Mbps so my shutter is set to 1/50.
You can't do it without zooming in. To get a DOF of a few inches you will have to be zoomed all the way in and as close to the minimum focus distance you can get.
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The sensor in your XF100 is the same size as the XHA1, so you should be able to achieve similar results. There are 3 things that affect depth of field - lens focal length, aperture and distance to subject. The first and the last can sometimes be controlled, but the aperture is always adjustable. Try to shoot as wide-open as possible, and adjust exposure by changing shutter speed and/or gain, as you like.

In the example you gave, you should be able to achieve a DOF effect - remember the focusing difference looking into a mirror is twice the distance from the mirror to the subject. The problem might be seeing it in the LCD.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The xf100's sensor is too small to achieve a nice shallow dof unless you apply some of the tricks mentioned here but even then it will be limited, if you want nice shallow dof then add a 550d with a 35 f1.4 lens to your toolkit which will cost you less then 1000 euro, there's nothing cheaper then that for very shallow dof beauty shots.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I have to practice more. And maybe use my external 7" monitor.
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #7
Major Player

You need to zoom way in to get dof for back focus.
Set the peaking to purple to help with the focussing.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Engeler View Post
The sensor in your XF100 is the same size as the XHA1...
True, but the zoom range is less, IIRC, which might explain why this type of shot doesn't work so well with the new camera. Full zoom on the XH-A1 is x20, equivalent to roughly 750mm in 35mm terms. What is the 35mm equivalent on the XF100? 300mm? Less than 400mm, I'll bet.

If you still have the old XH-A1, it might be worth using it for the shift-focus shot. I know the old HDV codec is only 1440x1080 at 25Mbps and 4:2:0 colour, but it's all MPEG2 so should drop into most NLEs time-line without messing things up too badly, and it saves shelling out for another camera just for a couple of special shots.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders