Canon XF305 Firmware upgrade malfunction (1.0.5.0 -> 1.0.9.0) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 8th, 2021, 06:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XF305 Firmware upgrade malfunction (1.0.5.0 -> 1.0.9.0)

Hey everyone.

Today I attempted to update the firmware of my Canon XF305 camera from version 1.0.5.0 to version 1.0.9.0. I have followed the instructions exactly as set out in Canon's help guide to ensure a successful update. The update process takes about five minutes.
For your reference, here is Canon New Zealand's support page for the process:

https://www.canon.co.nz/support/sims...4795D&ctype=fa

Unfortunately the firmware update process was unsuccessful.
After about five minutes into the update, the screen turned off, and the record tally, CF slot and SD clot lights came on solidly. After a further ten minutes of inactivity, I turned off the camera and turned it back on again. The lights turned on solidly and the screen remained blank. No servo motor movements for the lens.

So it seems as though the camera has been bricked.
I'd like to ask if anyone else out there has come across a firmware update failure with a Canon camcorder, and whether they have a recommendation for returning the camera to normal working order again.

I have reached out to Canon New Zealand for their advice too.
Thank you!
Andrew.
Andrew Strugnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2021, 05:44 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canon XF305 Firmware upgrade malfunction (1.0.5.0 -> 1.0.9.0)

Andrew, sorry this happened to you. Back in August I attempted to do the firmware update on my XF705 and the same thing happened to me. This is what I posted then,

"For Canon XF705 owners. Please, DO NOT UPDATE to 1.0.3.1. The Firmware update may be corrupt. I just did the latest update an my XF705 camcorder and now it is completely locked up. It will not even turn off without removing the battery. I have owned the XF300 for 7 years, and the XF705 for over a year so I know how to do an update. After the update was completed It said UPDATE SUCCESFUL. As soon as it was completed I went in and checked the new settings and that is when it locked up. Nothing on the LCD or EV. Nothing, I couldn't even shut it off, I had to take the battery out to shut it down. I called Canon Service Center and the tech said the engineer told him this was not the first call they have received."

I sent it in to Canon and they fixed the problem plus installed and tested the new update. Call the service center ASAP and have then send you a shipping label. They will take care of it. Bob

Last edited by Bob Safay; March 9th, 2021 at 08:51 AM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2021, 02:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Bob!

That's really unfortunate eh.
I really appreciate your response.

Canon New Zealand were able to get back to me within a couple hours. They shared the following:

"This sounds like a corrupted operating system due to failed firmware update.
In this case, the camera will need to be assessed by a technician. To log a service request, please go to http://cameraservice.canon.co.nz/"

I have since lodged a service request, boxed up and sent off the camera along with a completed RMA form. I hope they can take care of it with a reasonable turnaround time from here.

Cheers!
Andrew.
Old March 9th, 2021, 04:50 PM   #4
Trustee

Andrew, Canon service department in Virginia tried to charge me. However, all I did was call them and remind them that it was a glitch in the update that caused the problem so they immediately waved the fee. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2021, 04:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob.
I'll remember to have that conversation with them if/when the time comes.

The camera has been received and lodged in their system for repair. Their standard automatic email says that it could take up to ten working days, but I doubt that. Fingers crossed anyway - ha!

Cheers mate!
Andrew.
Old March 10th, 2021, 04:27 PM   #6
Trustee

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders