How do you mount the Firestore FSC on the Canon A1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #16
Major Player

I want to get the firestore, however I don't want the mount to be big and bulky and distracting since I shoot weddings and want to keep the rig as tight as possible, any way to get the firestore to mount flush against the camera laying on the top of the camera and not sicking straight up?
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I know what you mean about bulky and being less obtrusive.

If I am putting the FS-C on a tripod, the top mount is OK. Infact seeing the data on the screen is important....... so that's a good place for the device.

For handheld work the FS-C also comes with a belt clip so you can hang it off your belt rather than mount it on the camera. Just plug the firewire cable from the FS-C into the video camera. You're usually too busy framing and shooting to need to look at the FS-C's screen anyway.

I also use the FS-C for capturing from tape. Then menu's are straightforword and capturing from tape then transfering to your hard drive is a simple operation. So if I am using the Merlin and my DVC 30 I just capture the footage to my FS-C and then transfer the files to my computer.

Last edited by Guy Shaddock; September 14th, 2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Additional info
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Shaddock View Post
I just made a mount that sits on the A1 handle. It is just a piece of 1" aluminum bent into roughly an A shape. Velcro straps hold it on the A1's handle. The thumb screw that came with the mount sits through a hole in the aluminum bar. That holds the FS-C. Real simple and works well.
I like your style, Guy. Nicely done. Not pretty, but super functional.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I havent tried to mount a firestore on the A1 - but on my Gl2 I mounted it right on the handle. I put industrial strength velcro on my handle (I did have to velcro the flap for the controls on the handle shut - but no biggie) - I then placed velcro on the sides of the fs4 not covering the vents and also on all my batteries. The fs4 just sat on the handle using the velcro as the main grip and then a velcro strapped wrapped around sticking to the velcro under the handle and also the velcro on the sides of the fs4 - pull it tight and it didnt move...it looks clean, low profile and easy to swap batteries out.

I have no tried it on the A1 and I know the A1's handle is different, but I did sit my fs4 on my A1 out of curiosity awhile back and it looked like it would probably work...
Matthew Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #20
New Boot

I actually have a better way to mount it more flush

I actually have a better way to mount it more flush, from the last time I posted. I purchased this shoe mount from b & h and it mounts much more flush than I had it previous. It also balances it better. Testrite | Shoe Adapter | FSA-8 | B&H Photo Video

I have attached photos as well of how it looks mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you mount the Firestore FSC on the Canon A1?-img_0118.jpg   How do you mount the Firestore FSC on the Canon A1?-img_0120.jpg  

Bruce Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Kurz View Post
Does anyone know a supplier in the UK for this type of mount?

Is there an issue with shorting out the flash connections in the shoe with this mount?

TIA
Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Kurz View Post
I actually have a better way to mount it more flush, from the last time I posted. I purchased this shoe mount from b & h and it mounts much more flush than I had it previous. It also balances it better. Testrite | Shoe Adapter | FSA-8 | B&H Photo Video

I have attached photos as well of how it looks mounted.
That looks great! Too bad I am giving up the FS-4s in anticipation for the new sony drives that are coming out - but that mount could come in handy for that!
Matthew Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright View Post
Does anyone know a supplier in the UK for this type of mount?

Is there an issue with shorting out the flash connections in the shoe with this mount?

TIA
Ian
Your local high-street camera store should have something like that, or try Keene Electronics near Derby.

I used something very similar with my mic shock-mount for a few years and never had any problems with the hot-shoe.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #24
Regular Crew

thanks for the link. They do have one: HAMA SCREW IN SHOE MOUNT ADAPTOR

Thanks

Ian
Ian Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders