How do you mount the Firestore FSC on the Canon A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Major Player

How do you mount the Firestore FSC on the Canon A1?

I'm looking into the FSC drive... How do you mount your FSC to your A1? Use a Beebob box, or something else? Does this drive give you an indicator in the viewfinder/viewscreen that it is recording?

What's the best file format to record to the FSC if you're shooting 30f and editing in Final Cut Pro?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Recently received an FS-C

Bill,

I just received the FS-C Friday and I'm not certain there is a way. If you find out, please advise. The FS-C actually comes with documentation on how to mount it to an XL-H1. My plan is to get a small articulating arm from Zacuto for 15 mm rods. Other than that, I'm not certain.

To your question regarding the viewfinder/viewscreen, I haven't seen any indicators. The actual LCD on the FS-C blinks. I typically verify with the counter. With the "DV Out" functionality enabled within the camera, I didn't find any issue. And for what it's worth, it recognized 1080i 24f without a hitch.

Just FYI from a fellow A1 owner who thought a LONG while over getting the FS-C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
I'm looking into the FSC drive... How do you mount your FSC to your A1? Use a Beebob box, or something else? Does this drive give you an indicator in the viewfinder/viewscreen that it is recording?

What's the best file format to record to the FSC if you're shooting 30f and editing in Final Cut Pro?
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Paschal View Post
To your question regarding the viewfinder/viewscreen, I haven't seen any indicators. The actual LCD on the FS-C blinks. I typically verify with the counter. With the "DV Out" functionality enabled within the camera, I didn't find any issue. And for what it's worth, it recognized 1080i 24f without a hitch.
If the firewire cable becomes disconnected from the Firestore, is there some sort of indication or *anything* to let you know it has happened? I can't fathom having to constantly look at the FS's LCD readout all the time just to make sure its recording.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'll look into it.

Quote:
If the firewire cable becomes disconnected from the Firestore, is there some sort of indication or *anything* to let you know it has happened? I can't fathom having to constantly look at the FS's LCD readout all the time just to make sure its recording.
Bill,

I'm not sure. When I get a chance to play with it a bit more today, I'll be sure to let you know. I try and peek at the counter at the start of every record session. I agree that having to check is not close to ideal. I recall seeing a function called "repair drive" in the instructions in the event of losing sync, but I haven't tested it yet. I'll let you know what I find out today.

Thanks,

--Brandon
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Major Player

As far as mounting it, I saw someone that was using a Sony HD camera that had it mounted to the hot shoe on top of the camera. There is a hot shoe attachment, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Here's a picture of it mounted on the Sony camera via the hot shoe:
http://www.videoguys.com/prodimages/fs4hdfieldkit.jpg

THe image is from the Videoguys website, but they don't seem to sell the kit by itself that I can find.
Bryan Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #6
New Boot

use this from b & H

I found this at b and h and looks the same as in my picture for the FS-C just different angle.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Gilchrist View Post
As far as mounting it, I saw someone that was using a Sony HD camera that had it mounted to the hot shoe on top of the camera. There is a hot shoe attachment, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Here's a picture of it mounted on the Sony camera via the hot shoe:
http://www.videoguys.com/prodimages/fs4hdfieldkit.jpg

THe image is from the Videoguys website, but they don't seem to sell the kit by itself that I can find.
Bruce Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the FS-C and the A1 and there is no easy way to mount one to the other, though the micro-ball mount with flash shoe connector looks intersting.

Quote:
Does this drive give you an indicator in the viewfinder/viewscreen that it is recording?
The FS-C does show that it's recording... there are various icons which display its status. However, and this is something I've written to FE about, it would be really nice if the FS-C displayed an error message if the video output from the camera was not what the FS-C was expecting as its input. As it stands now, if the camera is set up for HDV and the FS-C is set up to record SD, it'll show it's recording, but NOTHING will be saved to the FS-C's drive. I've switched the FS-C to SD to record time-lapse footage and forgotten to switch it back to HDV... only to find I've not recorded anything!

Quote:
I don't use FCP, but the FS-C will record to disk in QuickTime mode, so I'm assuming that would probably be best for you (I don't think FCP can use M2T files, right?).
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #8
New Boot

about the mount

I mean actually when I bought mine I thought it came with the hot shoe mount as it shows in the picture and it only came with the belt clip and the case. I purchased the item in my last post so it can mount to the hot shoe.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #9
New Boot

FS-C and A-1

In a pinch I use the belt clip to clip the FS-C to the camcorder grip strap and it works. With the recording indicator on the LCD, this works pretty well. It's about the only thing that strap is good for.

O.C.
O.C. Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:00 PM   #10
New Boot

Fig Rig

Bill
I use a fig rig most of the time, and the FS-C mounts right on it very easily. I drop the whole thing on a tripod for static shots, and if I need something really smooth like a shot on the Steadicam Merlin, i bite the bullet and just use tape.

Fig rig is here.

http://services.manfrotto.com/figrig/
Harry Hannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Bill,

I'm actually going to be purchasing my FSC at NAB. I've done quite a bit of research as to mounting them. I think I'm going with the Bebob system for now:

http://www.bebob.de/international/box-firestore_e.html

I'm not totally sure how I want to set it all up once I get my rail system and matte box kit in the near future, but I'm considering this and having it mount off the back upright on the rails:

http://geardear.com/Cage.html

I've also seen people using a Noga arm off of a rail system and it looks like it would work as well:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Accessory.html

I'm hoping to be able to use the Bebob below my rail mounting system and still be able to use a shoulder brace once I have it all in place. It would all work in theory, but I want to test the comfort/performance factor...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Doh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Kurz View Post
I mean actually when I bought mine I thought it came with the hot shoe mount as it shows in the picture and it only came with the belt clip and the case. I purchased the item in my last post so it can mount to the hot shoe.
Hmmm... I bought it too... (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html) only to find that it can't attach to the FS-C!! I should have checked first! There's no 3/8" thread on the FS-! Oh well, now I have a hotshoe/ball mount, I guess I now have an excuse to buy a monitor to put on it! :-)
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:48 AM   #13
New Boot

i bought mine from b and h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
Hmmm... I bought it too... (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html) only to find that it can't attach to the FS-C!! I should have checked first! There's no 3/8" thread on the FS-! Oh well, now I have a hotshoe/ball mount, I guess I now have an excuse to buy a monitor to put on it! :-)
I bought mine from B & H and as the other guye mentioned it came with the belt clip and case. That case has the screw on the back of it that the ball mount goes into and on the hot shoe. Works great. I quted the post orig. that the FS-C came with the case and belt clip but no mount. I attached 2 pictures of the mounted FS-C
Attached Images

Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Disregard my last message!

Ah, yes, the plastic carrying bracket! I'd totally forgotten it came with that! I initially removed the belt clip and found the tiny mounting hole it left... no way to lock the mini-ball mount to that! :-) Thanks for reminding me about the included bracket. Now everything mounts as it should.
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I just made a mount that sits on the A1 handle. It is just a piece of 1" aluminum bent into roughly an A shape. Velcro straps hold it on the A1's handle. The thumb screw that came with the mount sits through a hole in the aluminum bar. That holds the FS-C. Real simple and works well.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you mount the Firestore FSC on the Canon A1?-bracket.jpg   How do you mount the Firestore FSC on the Canon A1?-mount.jpg  

Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders