The A1 colors out of the box from....HELP! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 4th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #31
Major Player

I think white balance is the least of his worries at the moment. Look how dark that is!

I grabbed my A1 & somewhat replicated a similar shot... floor lamp in corner, etc., but kicked in ND1, ND2. Also tried a high shutter (up to 1000 I think), iris wide open & my results were similar to Bruce's in all instances.

Jerrod, why so adamant regarding not shooting in TV60? I do all the time but use Exp Lock so I have manual iris & shutter control.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Agreed wholeheartedly, Tv mode + Exp. Lock is the way to go. It's the best of both worlds; it's full manual control (identical to M mode), plus AE at the push of a button.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #33
Trustee

I just shot 20 hours of video with the A1 (NTSC) in Europe using Tv mode.

I needed to make sure the shutter was 1/100.

I used exposure lock and adjusted the iris with the ring since the light was different across the room. I also used 3db of gain. I used the factory settings for color. Everything looks great.

I don't know what could be different about the picture between Tv mode and M mode. I think nothing.

In the picture posted, what was the shutter speed and the f stop? Also, what was the wattage of the light bulb. And what was the zoom setting of the lens. I think those numbers hold the secrets to way-dark images problems.

I would like to see the light bulb shot in one more comparison: one with the ND off and one with the ND on with all the other settings untouched.

I would also like to see the light bulb shot in Green Mode.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #34
Major Player

re: presets

Speaking of presets:
Wolfgang, a very friendly and resourceful German guy, has done extensive tests before coming up with a set of three excellent presets (four, actually, but you can skip one) for three different gain settings: -3dB, +6dB, +12dB.
You can find them here:
http://www.fxsupport.de/20.html
(scroll down to the bottom)
They worked very well for me.
Of course, I'm speaking about PAL "territory"; not sure they would work as well in NTSC land, but I think it's worth giving them a try.

Vasco
Vasco Dones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #35
Regular Crew

if it's not too late you may want to return/exchange your XHA1..I have and still use the GL-2 in multicam shoots with two XHA1s and they matched up pretty good right out of the box..with a little tweaking they match up even better for me. unless u have a "bad" XHA1 i'm not really sure why u are having the problems u are...good luck
John Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #36
Major Player

It's now late at night but here's my plan in brief.....

Gentlemen:

I've evaluated what's been said in this thread,combined it with my own investigation which included 2 phone calls to Canon tech support and have decided its more likely than not that there's something wrong.I'm going to try to persuade the retailer to swap it out for a brand new unit and if they agree,they can send this one back to Canon to do with it whatever they will.

I'm commited to making this acquistion a success if at all possible because I have faith in this brand,the quality of the workmanship and want to make it work out in the end.I also value what's been said by all those who have spent time,effort and energy in offering advice and suggestions and for taking an interest on my perplexing situation.To all,thanks very much.

If the retailer refuses because I'm currently 5 days past the money back guarantee period,I've set up a case file with Canon and it'll proceed from there.So unavoidably there will be time lost but its better than continuing to beat my head against the wall in frustration and wearing myself out trying to get something that won't work as intended in its present condition.I don't think it will matter what mode I use & that anything will ever change without help.

I'd welcome any comments and views about losing so much additional light while zooming in,any gl-2 vs a1 frame grab comparison postings taken (especially indoors and/or at night) and any other types of tests between the 2 models in regards to level of light.

This saga is not by any means over but a new chapter will most probably begin starting tommorow morning in this journey.If any of you would like to hear what happens as this story continues to develop,please let me know.I need all you good wishes of luck to get back on track and turn this experience into a happy one.

Good night from Central Massachusetts and my thanks certainly extends to all of you.You're great bunch of guys!

Bruce
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #37
Trustee

I would like to be helpful, but it would be helpful if the numbers I requested above were available. Do you have the numbers? Or is all this being tried in the dark, so to speak.

As far as comparing the GL to the A1, I think that's an all around waste of time.

Two months ago I shot 4 hours of stage performance using a PD150 a Sony TRV and a GL camera (not mine). Every second of the GL footage was thrown in the trash, because it was so bad in comparison to the other two cameras.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I think white balance is the least of his worries at the moment. Look how dark that is!

I grabbed my A1 & somewhat replicated a similar shot... floor lamp in corner, etc., but kicked in ND1, ND2. Also tried a high shutter (up to 1000 I think), iris wide open & my results were similar to Bruce's in all instances.

Jerrod, why so adamant regarding not shooting in TV60? I do all the time but use Exp Lock so I have manual iris & shutter control.

Bill
Eh, sorry about that. I just assumed that was the problem. Not to mention it was almost 4 in the morning when I made that post, lol. (Ignore the fact that it's almost 4 in the morning again).
Jerrod Cordell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders