Glidecam 2000 Pro + A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 1st, 2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Glidecam 2000 Pro + A1?

Hello,
I have a Canon XH A1 and a Glidecam 2000 Pro, i've spent probably close to an hour with both of these and I simply can't get it down right.

I only have the camera + 970 (i believe) battery, nothing else, it's definitely under 6 pounds.

Could anyone tell me their setup? Or suggestions for balancing the a1 specifically?
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:43 PM   #2
New Boot

I got the same specs as you and got it working just fine. Try using 4 weights on each side and make sure their round edges of the weights touch the 3 ends of the metal plate. (I dunno how to explain it, but make sure the sides of the metal plate supporting the weights form a tangent to the weights. Adjust the height to make it as high as you can and now you are ready to balance the camera axis by loosing the screws in the top plate and moving it slightly to the sidesm, front and back. Check again the Glidecam manual for more instructions. It is really heavy the first time
Carlos Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Flores View Post
I got the same specs as you and got it working just fine. Try using 4 weights on each side and make sure their round edges of the weights touch the 3 ends of the metal plate. (I dunno how to explain it, but make sure the sides of the metal plate supporting the weights form a tangent to the weights. Adjust the height to make it as high as you can and now you are ready to balance the camera axis by loosing the screws in the top plate and moving it slightly to the sidesm, front and back. Check again the Glidecam manual for more instructions. It is really heavy the first time
Thank you, this is what i needed. I've done the same as you with the position, but more weights. I've gotten it so close, but just off enough that it doesn't quite work (fails the quick movement test), but any adjustments I would make would be too much.

Thanks again, could you tell me your hole position? I'm going to start trying with that many weights now.

EDIT: Alright tried that, got it perfectly balanced but when i move it around, it swings back and forth, so the length isnt right i guess. Ill continue to experiment.
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM   #4
New Boot

Also... you are going to need some practice before getting the best out of your glidecam. You need to learn how to keep it steady with your left hand and applying the least force with it at the same time. You must carry all the weight with your right hand and it will not be easy in the beginning. Try also beding your knees a little when walking so you dont get any kind of bouncing when walking. Practice a lot. thats the key
Carlos Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Also... you are going to need some practice before getting the best out of your glidecam. You need to learn how to keep it steady with your left hand and applying the least force with it at the same time. You must carry all the weight with your right hand and it will not be easy in the beginning. Try also beding your knees a little when walking so you dont get any kind of bouncing when walking. Practice a lot. thats the key
Thanks, yeah i think i've figured out how to use it, i just can't seem to get it to balance just right. The design just isn't very good. If one little piece slips some then everything is ruined and with the use of those plastic grips, i'm afraid of over tightening them.

Edit: Still can't balance, could you specify the rest of what you use?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:45 AM   #6
Wrangler

What is your drop time (length of time it takes to fall from an initial horizontal position to the vertical position)?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Carlos,

Please can you post an image of your setup, I have the same problem as well.

Thanks~

Quote:
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:05 AM   #8
Major Player

This thread may help out a bit:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86940

I used it to balance my GC2000 & A1.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have the same setup as well. If you all are still having trouble I will make a small video to explain the setup. It was a lot easier with the vx2100. however it can be done with the a1 as well.
Trent Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:40 AM   #10
Major Player

After using the link I posted above here are my results from my first tries with the Glidecam 2000 and Canon XH-A1

http://www.simplethoughtproductions....m-canon-xh-a1/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders