HDF and DHV settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #1
New Boot

HDF and DHV settings

Sorry for interrupting you again, but I appreciate for your help. I'm trying to make a presets for my needs and can one tell me, when I better have to change HDF and DHV? I read, what is told in Canon's "Full control", but there are just common words about proportion of H- and V-details. How it really works and what is it doing? Please, share you experience, when have you changed these settings?
Lev Naumov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Major Player

re

try this two:

(the best for me)
SHP-3
HDF M
DHV 0

(more sharp)
SHP-1
HDF L
DHV 4
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you, I have seen a lot of successful examples, but I want to learn the background here, how it works and when I need to tune this. For example, I think, I need to tune when I'm shooting thorny fir or, lets say, eyelashes with a big zoom. When I have to tune it in less specific conditions? And what do I achieve if I'm changing these values in this or that manner?
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Re

This is my experience only.

first I use with gama2, gain+12dB (with less details is noise less visible)
second I use with gama normal (and gain +6dB only).

see attachments (specially glass parts of the light, noise).

Try both setting...
Attached Thumbnails
HDF and DHV settings-l-4-gaman_default.jpg   HDF and DHV settings-m-0-gama2.jpg  

Old December 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #5
New Boot

I got tangled a bit

You mean, first is shot with HDF M, DHV 0 and second - with HDF L, DHV 4? First of all, what do you mean "with less details less noise is visible"? Did you mean with lesser DHV less noise is visible? I do not think so, because DHV is just a ratio, not the absolute measure (nevertheless, probably you mean that).

Did you mean with lesser HDF less noise is visible? This contradict with the fact, that lesser HDF makes picture sharper (doesn't it?) => more noise visible.

Secondly, in my opinion, first picture is much more noisy than second one, despite of the fact that it is dimer. This is quite logical, but didn't you expect me to come to opposite conclusion, posting this?
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Re

Sorry for my bad english .-) .

Pictures have names - you can see, that more noise is with "L" (low), lesser with "M" (middle) setting of DHV (and result is diffrent from setting sharp..).

Try some adjustment (BLK M, PED -3, NR 0+0 , color you like) and than try both setting:

- gama normal + L + 4
- gama 2 + M + 0

On good CRT monitor you will see, that there is some different results. I can't help you more (can't tell you more .-) ), you must try this and you will see...

Result with gama2 +12dB have more brightness with the same noise as normal gama with +6dB (try both DHV M and L). It is experience, I use it.
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #7
New Boot

Thank you, Pavel, for the recommendations.
Can any one else explain, what are the meanings of HDF and DHV values?
Lev Naumov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders