To filter or not to filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #1
New Boot

To filter or not to filter

I'm from a still photo background were you put a UV or a Skylight filter on the lens and leave it on all the time for protection of the lens. My question is how does this affect shooting in HDV? If it is ok which would be better to use? I am shooting with a XH A1

Last edited by Walter R. Scott; February 19th, 2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: add a line
Walter R. Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I normally can't tell whether it is off or on just when looking at my footage. I'm sure it makes a small difference so probably best to leave it off if there is no risk to the lens.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Wrangler

The great depth of field of most video compared to 35mm film, and the distance of the filter from the optical center of the lens, makes any dust/dirt on the filter much more likely to be visible in the image. Thus it is usually better image wise to only use a filter when you need the filter effect, and if you use a filter, use a good one that introduces minimal additional reflections, and other unwanted artifacts, and keep it clean.

Use a quality UV for protection if you feel your shooting environment involves unacceptable risk to the front element of the camcorder lens (e.g., spitting babies, rowdy revelers at bash, or close up shots of mud wrestlers). (FWIW, the front element is NOT a focusing element but rather a plane optical glass there to protect the VAP). And note that the lens hood does provide some measure of protection.
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #4
New Boot

Indeed ,the depth of field in unbealiveable. Having made my living with a still camera for the past 25 years it is hard to get used to. With still there would be dust all over the lens and it would be un-noticeable. Just the other day I was testing a rig to tape out the window of a car. I could see all the rings on the inside of the lens barrel reflected on the inside of the filter. At first I didin't know what it was. I was blown away. I did not have the lens shade on so I wonder if that had someting to do with it. Here is the point. I will be in Africa in two weeks it will be dusty and I am so used to just wiping the lens with my shirt. I would like to go not using a filter but I worry about damaging the lens with all the cleaning. I undersstand that the front is only protctive glass, but I am sure that it is not cheap to have it replaced. How would you handle this?
Walter R. Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #5
Tourist

I was just in Africa and did use a filter the entire time. It was easier to clean on the go and not worry about my real lens element. However, shooting towards the sun would show all the dust that could not be seen while shooting in the shade. So, if you are shooting anything towards the sun, take it off and keep it in a clean case. For everything else, keep it on the camera.

A bottle of compressed air really helps too!
Vijay Rakhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I spent a month shooting in Africa, the fine dust that may suddenly appear is like talcum powder...I kept a filter on at all times.

Also find I need to keep an ND6 on the A1 in the bright sun. And a large plastic bag to whip the cam into at the first sign of trouble, and a Porta Brace A1 rain cover would be good.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders